Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Pulling data from ServiceNow to QlikSense

Hi,

I need to connect ServiceNow to QlikSense and need to develop reports on ServiceNow data. When I searched for proper connections I came across few solutions.

1. Using REST Connector and pulling data in xml file format and working on that (not sure about limitations and xml format)

2. Using ODBC connection and writing queries to pull data (we can pull only limited rows at a time thru this and not sure about connection configuration)

Can someone please suggest the better way to pull data from ServiceNow to QlikSense.

Thanks in Advance!

11 Replies
duffman1968
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hey Kumari,

I have used your option 1, you are on the right path.

Below are some points that helped me with method 1:

• Acquire a 'service' account credential from you ServiceNow admin. This credential should have access to all data.
  • Use this credential to configure the REST connector(s).
  • I created multiple connectors for what entities I wanted in my data model.
  • I then created scripts in the Data Load Editor (DLE)
    • I inserted scripts from each connectors select data, data preview
    • I then modified these scripts accordingly to complete my data model
  • Created some visualizations around the data model

This worked well for me. Let the REST connector(s) do the work, they are powerful. Just data preview and see what it did for you. Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Patrick

Not applicable
Author

Thank You so much Patrick.

duffman1968
Contributor III
Contributor III

You are welcome!

Regards,

Patrick

madan0717
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Patrick,

I'm using ServiceNow Rest API to pull the data. It seems there is a limit on Data extraction from servicenow to QLIK. How did you create multiple connections to pull the entire data set from a table( Example: Incident Table).Please let me know.

Thanks,

Madan

Demlet
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the useful information. Do you have any information regarding what pagination type ServiceNow uses?

For example lets say I am using i.e. URL for Incident  https://<your Service-Now site>/api/now/table/incident

Which pagination type do you use for more results to return? Any tips for setting this up would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Derek

Deanbrian1976
Contributor
Contributor

Do we know what type of Role Access an account would need to pull the data from servicenow to Qlik. 

Deanbrian1976
Contributor
Contributor

Do we know what type of Role Access an account would need to pull the data from servicenow to Qlik. 

pateldixitj1986
Contributor
Contributor

You will need account with the itil role. Thats what we are using. 

pavelmuller
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

I think that it is not a good idea to connect the reporting tool directly to a live ServiceNow instance. Not only it can affect the production environment but it will be simply too slow to download high volumes of data for each report execution.

The preferred way is to build an on-premise read-replica (i.e. a mirror database) and connect QlikSense to this local database. It will be much faster and your ServiceNow won't be affected.

You could use tools such as SnowMirror to extract the data from ServiceNow (or Salesforce).

http://www.snow-mirror.com/

Kind Regards,
Pavel