cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BertVanImpe
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlik Sense App: Alternate States in Qlik Sense

We're in the process of transitioning from QlikView 12 to QlikSense Feb2019. I'm having difficulties with replicating adhoc tables, which have a quick action to toggle between straight table and pivot table.

I've created a Master Item (table) where my columns have "Show column if" conditions that check selections in an isolated table. This works perfectly when I place the master item directly on a sheet. Only the desired columns are shown. However, when I try to add the master item to a container this ceases to work, as all columns are shown.

The sheet has an Alternate state applied to it, all other objects inherit this state. When I set this to 'Inherited' on the sheet the functionality works as expected again. Unfortunately, this is not a practical workaround as it defeats the purpose of having Alternate states at all.

I tried this in combination with the following containers:
-"Show/hide container"
-"Tabbed container"
-"Climber container"

None of them behave as desired, and none have the option to explicitly set the Alternate state either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Btw: I know there is a paid version of the Climber extension that would also fulfil our needs, but we are on a limited budget so I prefer to use out of the box functionality.

P.s., The example screen shot is with a custom Alternate state applied.

Labels (3)
8 Replies
bobiloco
Contributor III
Contributor III

I'm running into the same issue - Sheets with an alternate state set don't seem to pass the state down to some master items specifically the show/hide container. This must be a bug. Thanks for mentioning the Climber extension.

BertVanImpe
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

You are correct, this is specifically related to master items. I found that this behavior applies on Filter pane master items as well. I hope someone will look into this.

BertVanImpe
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for your reply, but I don't see how this solves the problem in QlikSense that alternate states are not inherited by instances of a master object. This situation makes you choose between using master items (visualizations) or alternative states. We chose the first one for the sake of maintainability.

We got rid of most alternate states in our QlikSense application, except for one sheet where we use them in expressions to be able to compare different data sets in a table.

Siggi_Swiss
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hey, i see that this post is almost 5 years old, but this bug seems to be still there. For using Alternate States you have to create a master item, right? So if you have an ad-hoc table with a lot of calculated conditions, its still not working. 

BertVanImpe
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Siggi, you can use Alternate States on any visualization without having to convert them to master items. I'm not sure if they fixed the inheritance on master items though, it's been a while since I checked, and we don't really need it anymore.

Siggi_Swiss
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hey Bert, thanks for responding that quick. I thought the "normal" way to use them is to create mater items. If this is not needed, how can i create like Date1 or Date2 out of my Date field? Sorry for asking here but i maybe it helps others too. cheers

BertVanImpe
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Siggy, I'm not sure if I understand you requirements.

To further clarify, the inheritance issue I encountered was when adding a master item (table) to a container; this breaks the inheritance chain somehow. Again, I'm not sure if this is still the case, as Qlik continues to roll out new versions.

Creating master items is generally a good idea, and as long as you're not planning to include them in a container object you should be fine.

If you're still having trouble, I'm sure you'll receive help if you log you request in the appropriate forum section.

Unfortunately I cant open up my schedule right now, and this topic has rather low visibility.

Good luck!