Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlik Sense bug? nulls in fields

Hi,

I'm reading in some data from different CSV files and I think I've spotted a Qlik Sense bug.

It's important for me to find null values. I need to know if the most recent value is a null and how many nulls occurred over the series.

When I print this out:

firstsortedvalue("field detail", -FileDate)

I get a the - character indicating a null.

When I print this out:

nullcount("field detail")

I get zero.

However, when I do the same thing for another field, I get the correct answers.

It looks as if Qlik Sense is handling null values inconsistently across functions. I think the firstsortedvalue is taking FileDate across all tables and sorting, whereas the nullcount function is just looking in the same table.

MissingCount gives the same result too.

Has anyone else seen this or is it just me?

Mike

2 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

firstsortedvalue("field detail", -FileDate)

I get a the - character indicating a null.

The firstsortedvalue function will also return null if there are several "field detail" values for the maximum FileDate (for the dimension values on that row of your chart). Are you sure that this is not the case with your data?

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Hi Gysbert,

This isn't the case for my data.

The full story is, I'm reading in multiple files, all with dates and file sizes. In a few cases, I'm missing files for 'today'. The firstsortedvalue returns the correct answer in all cases (I've checked with my source data).  nullcount returns the correct answer on most occasions, but under some conditions, it returns the wrong answer. Having slept on it and re-thought he whole thing, I'm pretty sure this is a bug.

Mike