Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlik Sense map does not aggregate data based on zoom level?

I am replicating a map I had in QlikView in Qlik Sense Desktop using its map function. I am using Qlik Sense desktop version 1.1.0+, build 31.QSMS10-CIGS. I found an interesting gap that the map function in Qlik Sense does not aggregate data based on zoom level. My map displays the number of opening positions by the geographical locations of cities around the world.

After selecting city locations with latitude and longitude values as dimension and the number of opening positions as measure, here is what I got in Qlik Sense. The map in Qlik Sense tells me that the majority of opening positions is in middle east.

Capture.PNG

But, check out the following map in QlikView using the Google Map extension. The map tells me that the majority of opening positions is in the US!!! Wow, these are quite different results.

Capture.PNG

If I zoom in the map in QlikView, it shows me the numbers of opening positions by cities.

Capture.PNG

Could this be a future enhancement in Qlik Sense? Look like Qilk Sense is missing it and it is not presenting the right BI.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Todd Byrd from Qlik answered my question in my email to him. Basically, the QlikView extension I use has the "clustering" function so data are clustered when I zoom out. In Qlik Sense map videos, they show that we can choose to add a dimension as "point" or "area" to the map. This explains why the data are not clustered in Qlik Sense map no matter how I change its zoom level. I guess it would complete the map function, if we could have a toggle button to choose whether to turn on clustering in Qlik Sense map.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Hey Joseph,

So I created the extension you are using in QlikView, there should not be any differences on how the two different objects work. Are you sure you are using same the same expression? In previous version of the Cluster extension it would show you the amount of points and not the calculation value of the clusters, just want to make sure.

The easiest way to make sure if to create two tables with the same dimensions and expressions in both products and compare the values as there should not be any difference between them.

Not applicable
Author

They are the same expression. Both use the same dimension, i.e., city geographical location. Here is the expression in QlikView.

Capture.PNG

Here is the expression in Qlik Sense.

Capture.PNG

Not applicable
Author

Todd Byrd from Qlik answered my question in my email to him. Basically, the QlikView extension I use has the "clustering" function so data are clustered when I zoom out. In Qlik Sense map videos, they show that we can choose to add a dimension as "point" or "area" to the map. This explains why the data are not clustered in Qlik Sense map no matter how I change its zoom level. I guess it would complete the map function, if we could have a toggle button to choose whether to turn on clustering in Qlik Sense map.

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

So would it help to have the same extension in Sense also? It's a pretty quick job to just convert it over.

Not applicable
Author

Yes, it would be great!

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

So I ported the extension over to Qlik Sense, you can grab it over at Branch http://branch.qlik.com/projects/showthread.php?487-GoogleMaps

Or directly from Github, mindspank/GoogleMaps-Sense · GitHub

Not applicable
Author

The Google Map extension looks great. But, the measure does not seem to work with fields in my data model unless I use something without involving fields. Here is my screen shot.

Capture.PNG

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Ah there is probably some bad data in there.

I'll updated it to do some checks that the data that is being passed in is actually a valid coordinate pair, I did that in QV11 but left it out for the Qlik Sense version.

Not applicable
Author

The coordinate works in my testing. I can replicate your example in my data. Only the Measure is not working when I use a data field, such as count(distinct key_requisition).