Qlik Community

Qlik Sense App Development

Discussion board where members can learn more about Qlik Sense App Development and Usage.

rva_heldendaten
Contributor III

Questions on "new" search behavior

HI!

I must say I have my difficulties to understand the new QVSense numeric search behavior. See attached video.

I have a field with numeric IDs:

1) I do a search in ther filter panel for "<5" --> the current selection shows 1,2,3,4 --> behavior OK

2) I do a search for "<10" --> the current selection shows me 5,6,7,8,9 --> to me thats a strange behavior

Questions:

- Why does the "current selection box" shows selected items, instead of the search query. What happens if I do a snapshot. Will it save the search expression, or the selected values?

- I would expect the second .search to return 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. Why are the green values from Step1) excluded?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Employee
Employee

Re: Re: Questions on "new" search behavior

Roland / Janusz

OK - this is what I have found:

Pressing the ENTER  key - seems to remove the current selections. (i picked up on that after watching the video again)

• Search <5   - [press Enter]
  • values 1 to 4 selected
  • Search <10  - [press Enter]
  • values 1 to 4 removed from selection and values 5,6,7,8,9 selected
  • Search <5 again  - [press Enter]
  • all values are NOW selected

I will report this to our support team to log as a bug or to see if this is by design, etc. However, seems to be odd behavior to me too.

Work-around: - DO NOT USE the ENTER Key use the mouse and select the values and click the apply button - green check

Thanks for taking the time to report this.

Please mark the appropriate replies as helpful / correct so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike

11 Replies
Employee
Employee

Re: Questions on "new" search behavior

Hi Roland - let's take each question 1 at a time -

My example - works using <10

Here is my sample data you can use in the Data Load Editor:

load * Inline [

Id,age

]

Can you check your data model and see what the datatype of your column is flagged as - I am curious to see if this has something to do with it defining it as ascii or something.

let me know

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

rva_heldendaten
Contributor III

Hi Michael!

See attached the .qvf and screenshot

"Standalone" Search for < 10 works for me as well.

Its just when you first search for "<5", after that search for "<10" --> only values 5,6,7,8,9 are selected.

The simple workaround is, that a  user always has to clear a field before it starts a new search; but I think that's not a very natural behavior.Qlik Sense Desktop_2014-09-24_08-34-05.png

Employee
Employee

Re: Re: Re: Questions on "new" search behavior

Hello Roland - first thank you for the screenshots and the sample - very valuable to our team when trying to troubleshoot.

However, I AM NOT seeing this behavior with your app or mine - see the attached video attached to the bottom of this reply.

Are you using Desktop version 1.0 - or an older release?

Regards,

Let me know.

Mike

janusz_twardzia
Contributor

Hello Michael,

The "incorrect" behavior happens then you performs the following steps:

1. Search for "<5" and apply selection. The current selection will show you numbers 1,2,3,4

2. Search again but this time for "<10" and apply selection. You would expect QlikView to show in the current selection numbers from 1 to 9. However it's not the case. Instead it shows numbers from 5 to 9.

In your testing scenario you're missing the selection stage following the first search.

I hope the above description is clear. If not, let me know.

Best regards,

Janusz

Employee
Employee

Hi Janusz -

Please see attached video to this reply - also please include a screenshot of what you are seeing, as I am not seeing this behavior. I'd like to narrow this down, before identifying this as by design, bug etc. I assume you are using the latest version 1.0 as well.

In the video:

• Enter the search of the list-box
  • I search for <5 - values 1,2,3,4 display as expected
  • I select values 1,2,3,4 - green, click apply
  • I then search for <10 - values 1-9 display - values 1-4 (selected / green) - values 5 - 9 - light grey (associated, possible values - but NOT selected)

So far what I am seeing is by design.

After the first 6 values are selected, the current selection bar shows the id - the number of values selected OUT OF x.

Let me know.

Regards,

Mike

Employee
Employee

BTW - I watched the video a few times - and I am not seeing this behavior.

Still investigating.

Employee
Employee

OK - I see it now - I  HAD TO PRESS <ENTER> om my keyboard after the selection.

Let me investigate with our products team

Mike

janusz_twardzia
Contributor

Exactly!!! Instead of selecting each value individually apply "search selection" by pressing Enter.

Best regards,

Janusz

Employee
Employee

Roland / Janusz

OK - this is what I have found:

Pressing the ENTER  key - seems to remove the current selections. (i picked up on that after watching the video again)

• Search <5   - [press Enter]
  • values 1 to 4 selected
  • Search <10  - [press Enter]
  • values 1 to 4 removed from selection and values 5,6,7,8,9 selected
  • Search <5 again  - [press Enter]
  • all values are NOW selected

I will report this to our support team to log as a bug or to see if this is by design, etc. However, seems to be odd behavior to me too.

Work-around: - DO NOT USE the ENTER Key use the mouse and select the values and click the apply button - green check

Thanks for taking the time to report this.

Please mark the appropriate replies as helpful / correct so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike