Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stascher
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Random dimension name formatting in selection bar.

Hello,

We're seeing something we can't explain or correct in our Qlik Sense apps. 

We have sheets with multiple filter objects across the top of each.  The dimensions the filters refer to are all specified in the same way. The problem is, when selections are made in these filters, the dimension names that appear in the selection bar sometimes show just the name and sometimes show the full "expression" of the name. (see image)

For example, if the dimension is specified as "=[Subjects.Subject]" it is displayed on the selection bar as "Subjects.Subject"

but for "=[Visits.zMissing Visit Flag]" what is displayed is "=[Visits.zMissing Visit Flag]".    At first I thought the issue might be caused by having spaces in the second dimension's name, however I created several filters using other dimensions that have spaces in their names and those displayed properly (without =[]).  

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Thanks,

Steve

selection.png

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't explain specifically why this is happening, but if these are simply fields in your data model, is there a reason you're using a formula with a '=' to refer to them? There is no need to refer to them via formulas containing '=' at all. If you select the field for the filter form the picker, or simply reference the field in square brackets without the '=', I believe you'll get the name of the field instead of the formula you've entered.

stascher
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Qlik is actually inserting the '=' after I  save my field selection.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ain't got a clue, but I am curious.

Could you post a sample qvf that demonstrates this ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are these simply fields in your data model? Or is one of them a 'Dimension' defined in master objects?

If the one with the '=' showing is defined as a dimension in the master objects, it may be literally interpreting the 'label' provided.

When you add the filter pane, with it selected, click on 'Add Dimension': do these appear under 'fields' or 'dimensions'

If they are all just fields, and not custom dimensions, I have no other explanation.

However, if you add the fields from the list presented there without ever opening the formula edit window, you won't get the '=' in the fx line.

Ivan_Bozov
Luminary
Luminary

I have also experienced this issue. In the cases that I have observed, this happens with fields calculated in the script (such as the flag field in your example) and autoCalendar fields.

If you add a dimension using the expression editor (fx), Qlik inserts '=' and you get the brackets in the black ribbon on top. However, if you drag and drop the field directly to your sheet, this issue will not appear.

I believe this is a bug.

vizmind.eu
Ivan_Bozov
Luminary
Luminary

Does anybody have more information about this? Is it a bug or normal behavior?

mto‌‌‌

vizmind.eu