Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ranking with sub-query

I've been wrestling with this problem without success for some time.  We have a data set of items to be sold which looks something like:

UniqueRefItemTypePreferredRankOrderWeek
FR3343A122016-05-16
FR3343B112016-05-09
KI4325G10NULL
PL4382A92016-05-16
FR3456B8NULL
FR7256C7NULL
PL8365G62016-05-09
PL2555A52016-05-16
MB8012A42016-05-09
MB8012F32016-05-09
MB8032G2NULL
PL8433A12016-05-09

Here there is a [PreferredRank] field, where a higher rank means we’d ideally like to sell it earlier. This is a unique field in the data which goes from 1 up to N (the number of items in the data).

The [OrderWeek] field shows if the item is present in an order which is due to ship in that particular week.

What I’m trying to achieve from this data is a summary table by order week that looks something like:

WeekNo. Orders In WeekCumulative OrdersPreferred Item Orders
2016-05-09551
2016-05-16381
etc

I can create the first two columns but it’s the third I’m struggling with. To explain what this column means:

To calculate the [Preferred Item Orders] by hand we’d carry out two steps in a calculation:

1. Look at how many orders are present in total for the particular week (e.g there are 5 for week 2016-05-09 in the above example).
  2. Check that many items in descending order of [PreferredRank] in the dataset, counting how many of them are due for sale in that same week.

For example, for the week 2016-05-09 this would mean looking at the top 5 items (with [PreferredRank] = 12 down to 😎 and counting how many had an [OrderWeek] = 2016-05-09. In this case there is just the one.

In the case of the second week (2016-05-16) this would mean instead of looking at the top 5 items by RankNo, we would instead look at the top 3 because that’s how many total orders there are in that week. 

I've tried constructing an expression in many different ways but it’s this dynamic sub—query that’s giving me problems making one that works.

Am I overlooking something obvious here or is this perhaps something that’s not possible to achieve?

From reading elsewhere on this forum I understand that it may not be possible to use a dollar expansion over a dimension (as it’s just calculated once rather than per line as we would require here?) . Hence I'd be happy creating even multiple measures, one per week if that were necessary.

Hopefully I've managed to explain the problem sufficiently - I've also attached an example .qvf file with the same data.

Many Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Michael‌ is right, you need some kind of Aggr here. Try this

Dimension:

OrderWeek

Expressions

1) Sum(HasOrderFlag)

2) RangeSum(Above(Sum([HasOrderFlag]), 0, RowNo()))

3) Sum({<UniqueRef = {"=(Max(TOTAL PreferredRank) - Aggr(NODISTINCT Sum([HasOrderFlag]), OrderWeek)) < PreferredRank"}>}if([OrderWeek] = Week, [HasOrderFlag],0))

This seems to be working for the sample, but test it out for your original data and see if this gets you to what you need

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Ian,

I may not be the best expression writer when it comes to Qlik, but what it sounds like you want to do is use the AGGR() function. Possibly using the AGGR() function along with RANK().

Check out this brief video to see if I am going in the right direction:

Hello Other community members, please help out Ian as well if you have something available that is inline with his need.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
sunny_talwar

Michael‌ is right, you need some kind of Aggr here. Try this

Dimension:

OrderWeek

Expressions

1) Sum(HasOrderFlag)

2) RangeSum(Above(Sum([HasOrderFlag]), 0, RowNo()))

3) Sum({<UniqueRef = {"=(Max(TOTAL PreferredRank) - Aggr(NODISTINCT Sum([HasOrderFlag]), OrderWeek)) < PreferredRank"}>}if([OrderWeek] = Week, [HasOrderFlag],0))

This seems to be working for the sample, but test it out for your original data and see if this gets you to what you need

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

That's fantastic thank you. Many Thanks.