Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

SAP connector for Qliksense

Do we have SAP connector  for Qliksense ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello All - To close out this discussion based on the OP topic / question and for those that might stumble upon this - there is now a connector for SAP for Qlik Sense. You can learn more here:

Qlik SAP SQL Connector

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

29 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello,

The latest version on SAP Connector is 5.9 which was released last week.

It does not mention a connectivity to Sense yet but I believe it is on the roadmap.

BR

Serhan

quriouss
Creator III
Creator III

I am using the built-in functionality in Sense Desktop to connect to SAP-BW by OLE DB.  It's working well for my purposes (but obviously this won't connect directly to SAP tables, which I assume you are trying to do).

quriouss
Creator III
Creator III

Also take a look at this thread What is the data integration capability of Qlik Sense ?. which will give you some tips on using QVSource win Qlik Sense.

Bear in mind (1) that is an old thread and likely the situation has improved, and (2) QVSource is a separate purchase/licence.

chrishayes
Contributor III
Contributor III

I am trying to connect to SAP BW in Qlik Sense using OLE DB but am running into issues. Can you share how you set up your connection?

quriouss
Creator III
Creator III

I'm happy to help, but hat sort of issues are you having?

My system is:

• Qlik Sense server (also works with Desktop version)
  • SAP Business Explorer (BEx tools) installed on the server (or on the same machine as Desktop)
    • This is the software which gives you SAP Query Designer, Analyzer, Web Application Designer, etc.
    • This will also install the SAP BW OLE DB driver.

The connection string I use for the server ("prompt=4" avoids the logon dialog box opening) is;

OLEDB CONNECT32 TO [Provider=MDrmSap.2;Data Source="SAP_SYSTEM_ID";SFC_CLIENT=100;SFC_LANGUAGE=EN;Prompt=4]

I would try going to create "New Connection" within Qlik Sense, and selecting the OLE DB provider and seeing what options it gives.  Another tip is to start with the desktop version on a local machine and create the connection - it helped me because I knew when it was trying to bring up a dialog box; if running remotely there is no way to know and it would just hang.

Hopefully the above outline will be enough to get you connected to your system.  If you want help writing a query let me know (I'm no expert but I got it working!)

quriouss
Creator III
Creator III

Also, maybe take a look at this thread where I ask (and answer!) a similar question to what I outlined.

Connecting to SAP BW using BEx OLE DB provider?

chrishayes
Contributor III
Contributor III

Well it appears that I am able to connect but I cannot see any tables. I am using Qlik Sense Desktop and trying to connect to a SAP BW/BPC server. We are not using BEx. I tried adding "Prompt=4" to the connection string, but I still get the popup window.

quriouss
Creator III
Creator III

Yeah, you won't be able to see any tables, you have to write the script by hand.

I had to do some trial-and-error to work out exactly how to get it working but one of the best tools I found was to use Microsoft Report Builder (free, part of SQL server) to connect to my BW server over XMLA and build the outline query there, then copy and paste into Qlik.

basically though you need to gather all the technical names for the characteristics and the key figures then decide how you want the data to be presented.

I'll post an example script for you tomorrow; once you've got the outline then the cleaning up of the data is fairly logical, but you *will* have to edit the script to convert the internal SAP format into a legible end-user format.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello Christopher,

You need to use SAP Connector. Otherwise even if you connect, you may not be able to see the cube structure properly since cubes are handled by SAP on BW level.

- Use SAP Connector with QlikView Desktop to create QVDs.

- Use QVDs to generate Qlik Sense front end.

BR

Serhan