Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r_wroblewski
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Same expression but different results

Dear Community,

Can someone give me a hint why the same expression give different results when I use it in pivot table & text box?

QlikSenseProblem.PNG

The result in the pivot table is the correct one but I don't understand why using a text box give me a wrong result.

The data is loaded from QVDs and all expressions show correct results, compared to original QlikView application, except the one expression above. Did someone has a hint or idea what could be the problem ?

Best regards,

Ronny

PS: Unfortunately I can't share the QVF or reproduce the error in a separate file until now.

20 Replies
sunny_talwar

Ronny are you sure you don't have a DISTINCT in your KPI expression by chance? It seems that the number you are getting is very close to DISTINCT Count of ItemCode. Not sure what is the exact issue, but just trying to throw some ideas

Best,

Sunny

r_wroblewski
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Sunny,

yes I'm sure that no distinct expression is used instead of Count. I already checked it and also created kpi / textobjects with different count & count distinct expressions.

e.g.     for Count({<[FY]={$(=Max([FY]))}>} ItemCode) / Count(DISTINCT {<[FY]={$(=Max([FY]))}>} ItemCode)

object type          Count          Count(DISTINCT )

text object           6424            6373

kpi object            6424            6373

simple table        397701         6373

pivot table          397701          6373

The raw data is loaded from qvds which are extracted from an qvw. Except this single value all other values are correct and equal to the qvw file. I also checked the raw data but couldn't find any irregularities.

Regards,

Ronny

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ronny,

I guess the issue is related to the granularity of the data.

For example, let's have this table

Product,    Client

PR_1, CL_1

PR_2, CL_1

PR_3, CL_2

PR_4, CL_3

Now, if I create a  table per Product as dimension, and count(distinct Client) as expression then I will get 1 per each product. The total as a sum of the result column is equal 4. If you perform count(distinct Client) in a global scope then the result is 3.

Just an idea.

Thanks,

Janusz

r_wroblewski
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Janusz,

thanks for your post and I understand what you mean but

I don't think that this is an issue of granularity.

e.g.

pivot table has as dimension only "Fiscal Year" and two measures (QlikView & Qlik Sense)

a)Count(ItemCode)

b)Count({<[FY]={$(=Max([FY]))}>} ItemCode)

both measures return the same result(397,701) in the pivot table for the latest fiscal year in QV & Sense. (expected)

text object (QV & Sense) & KPI object (only Sense)

using Count({<[FY]={$(=Max([FY]))}>} ItemCode) inside a text object in QV return also the correct result (397,701) but using the same expression in Qlik Sense return a strange result which is close to Count(Distinct ...) but I have no idea why

The data is the same, like used in QV, and no modifications done in the Sense script (load of qvds created from the QV app).

Regards,

Ronny

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ronny,

Is there any way to limit and scramble the data then load it into the the Sense app and share it here, please?

Thanks,

Janusz

r_wroblewski
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Janusz,

I tried to create a sample app but couldn't recreate the problem.

I will try to limit & scramble the data when I have time & attach a sample qvf here as soon as possible.

Regards,

Ronny

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Ronny

My first thought was that ItemCode is a key between two tables, and then Count( ItemCode ) is not well defined. The reason is that the engine doesn't know in which table to make the calculation. So, you need to use Count( disitnct ItemCode ) or Count( CopyOfItemCode ) instead. But then I saw that you have the same problem with ItemName...

Anyway, the way partial sums are calculated has in fact been changed in the new QIX engine. So any new "unwanted" behaviour is extremely interesting for us at Qlik. After all, it could be a bug. So If you still have this problem, I would be very interested in learning more, or maybe get a copy of the app (or a subset of it) to investigate the problem. Naturally we will treat it confidentially. Mail me directly if you want to.

HIC

r_wroblewski
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Dear Henric

thanks for your reply.

First I will check what will happen if I use "CopyOfKeyFields".

If possible I will create a sample QVW & QVF from the same source file.

The data & apps are in Japanese so I need a little bit more modifications before I can post a useful sample here.

Regards,

Ronny

Greg_Hood
Employee
Employee

Hi Ronny, we have a support team in Japan so language is not a problem.   Please PM me and I will send you contact details.

r_wroblewski
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Dear Gregory,

thanks for your post.

Qlik Support Japan contact information is available.

Basically, I always try to solve my mistakes with help of the community before I contact the support.

I will keep community & support up to date for this issue.

Best regards,

Ronny