Qlik Community

Qlik Sense App Development

Discussion board where members can learn more about Qlik Sense App Development and Usage.

Announcements
BARC’s The BI Survey 19 makes it official. BI users love Qlik. GET REPORT
phuelish
New Contributor III

Setting the default value in a child list box

Hi,

I have a parameter (stand-alone) table that I use for filtering a map chart object. The basic structure is

Load Inline [

Parent, Child

Parent 1, Child 1

Parent 1, Child 2

Parent 1, Child 3

Parent 2, Child A

Parent 2, Child B

];

I use two list boxes to select the filters, one for Parent and one for Child. The Child list box hides any values that do not apply.

Is there a way to get the Child list box to default select the first applicable Child field value based on the Parent list box selection?

For example, when Parent 1 is selected then Child defaults to Child 1 and when Parent 2 is selected then Child defaults to Child A?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

-Frank

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
phuelish
New Contributor III

Re: Setting the default value in a child list box

I'm not sure if this is the best way to do this, but I figured out a workaround...

In the load script, I added a field to the parameter table (Actual field names use this time):

Segment_Parm:

LOAD

RowNo() as pSeg_Temp,

pSegment,                                // the parent field

pSegment_Text,

pSeg_Detail,                              // the child field

pSeg_Detail_Text,

I then created an indexing table to get the row number for the first occurrence of each parent:

Segment_Index:

NoConcatenate Load

pSegment as pSeg_Parent,

Min(pSeg_Temp) as pSeg_Child

Resident Segment_Parm

Group by pSegment;

Then, I set the default field value to:

=FieldValue('pSeg_Detail_Text',FieldValue('pSeg_Child',FieldIndex('pSeg_Parent',Only(pSegment))))

If there's a more eloquent way to do this, I'm happy for any guidance you can provide. This feels more like a workaround than a success at this point, but it got me where I wanted to go.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
phuelish
New Contributor III

I'm not sure if this is the best way to do this, but I figured out a workaround...

In the load script, I added a field to the parameter table (Actual field names use this time):

Segment_Parm:

LOAD

RowNo() as pSeg_Temp,

pSegment,                                // the parent field

pSegment_Text,

pSeg_Detail,                              // the child field

pSeg_Detail_Text,

I then created an indexing table to get the row number for the first occurrence of each parent:

Segment_Index:

NoConcatenate Load

pSegment as pSeg_Parent,

Min(pSeg_Temp) as pSeg_Child

Resident Segment_Parm

Group by pSegment;

Then, I set the default field value to:

=FieldValue('pSeg_Detail_Text',FieldValue('pSeg_Child',FieldIndex('pSeg_Parent',Only(pSegment))))

If there's a more eloquent way to do this, I'm happy for any guidance you can provide. This feels more like a workaround than a success at this point, but it got me where I wanted to go.

View solution in original post

phuelish
New Contributor III

Lacking any responses, I'll call this a correct answer