Qlik Community

Qlik Sense App Development

Discussion board where members can learn more about Qlik Sense App Development and Usage.

Highlighted
MynhardtBurger
New Contributor III

Unable to store the content of error handling variables

I am unable to store the value of the script error variables in a table.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/November2017/Subsystems/Client/Content/Scripting/ErrorVariables...

The only error variables I am able to store in a table is '$(ScriptErrorCount)' and '$(#ScriptError)'. All the other variables return as null. Why is this?

The structure of my code, which runs in a for loop, is this:

Set ErrorMode=1;

//Attempt to load non-existing file
[Budget Raw]: LOAD [Customer Number], [Item Code], [SP 01], [SP 02], [SP 03], [SP 04], [SP 05], [SP 06], [SP 07], [SP 08], [SP 09], [SP 10], [SP 11], [SP 12], [RM 01], [RM 02], [RM 03], [RM 04], [RM 05], [RM 06], [RM 07], [RM 08], [RM 09], [RM 10], [RM 11], [RM 12], [Qty 01], [Qty 02], [Qty 03], [Qty 04], [Qty 05], [Qty 06], [Qty 07], [Qty 08], [Qty 09], [Qty 10], [Qty 11], [Qty 12], [Days 01], [Days 02], [Days 03], [Days 04], [Days 05], [Days 06], [Days 07], [Days 08], [Days 09], [Days 10], [Days 11], [Days 12] FROM '$(non-existingFile)' (ooxml, embedded labels, header is 1 lines, table is [Sales Budget]); //Save error details to preexisting [Load Results] table
Concatenate ([Load Results]) LOAD '$(t)' as [File Number], //for loop counter '$(ScriptErrorCount)' as [Error Count], '$(#ScriptError)' as [Error ID], '$(ScriptError)' as [Error Description], '$(ScriptErrorDetails)' as [Error Detail], '$(ScriptErrorList)' as [Error List] Autogenerate(1);

I expected the error variables to contain something about file not found, as it is shown when inspecting those variables while running the script in debug mode.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MynhardtBurger
New Contributor III

Re: Unable to store the content of error handling variables

I solved my problem.

Qlik resets the contents of the ScriptErrorCount , ScriptError  and ScriptErrorDetails which originated from the previous script statement as soon as a new statement is executed. So you must record the contents of the system ScriptErrorCount, ScriptError and ScriptErrorDetails in a variable right after the relevant script statement. Even a LET statement will result in those system variables being cleared.

My solution was to record the contents of all the script error system variables in a deliminated string immediately after the relevant script statement which might throw an error:

Let vScriptErrors = ScriptErrorCount & '|' & num(ScriptError) & '|' & ScriptError & '|' & ScriptErrorDetails & '|' & ScriptErrorList;

Then use the SUBFIELD function to extract the contents of each script error variable:

//Save error details to preexisting [Load Results] table
Concatenate ([Load Results])
LOAD
        '$(t)' as [File Number], //for loop counter variable
	SubField('$(vScriptErrors)','|',1) as [Error Count],
	SubField('$(vScriptErrors)','|',2) as [Error Code],
	SubField('$(vScriptErrors)','|',3) as [Error Description],
	SubField('$(vScriptErrors)','|',4) as [Error Details],
    	SubField('$(vScriptErrors)','|',5) as [Error List]
Autogenerate(1);

I found that the Qlik help file is incomplete in describing the operation of these variables:

• ScriptErrorDetails variable is not listed in the help file
  • The fact that all script statements, including LET, will reset the contents of ScriptErrorCount , ScriptError and ScriptErrorDetails variables forcing you to record their contents in a single LET statement if your are interested in them

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/November2018/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Scripting/Er...

1 Reply
MynhardtBurger
New Contributor III

Re: Unable to store the content of error handling variables

I solved my problem.

Qlik resets the contents of the ScriptErrorCount , ScriptError  and ScriptErrorDetails which originated from the previous script statement as soon as a new statement is executed. So you must record the contents of the system ScriptErrorCount, ScriptError and ScriptErrorDetails in a variable right after the relevant script statement. Even a LET statement will result in those system variables being cleared.

My solution was to record the contents of all the script error system variables in a deliminated string immediately after the relevant script statement which might throw an error:

Let vScriptErrors = ScriptErrorCount & '|' & num(ScriptError) & '|' & ScriptError & '|' & ScriptErrorDetails & '|' & ScriptErrorList;

Then use the SUBFIELD function to extract the contents of each script error variable:

//Save error details to preexisting [Load Results] table
Concatenate ([Load Results])
LOAD
        '$(t)' as [File Number], //for loop counter variable
	SubField('$(vScriptErrors)','|',1) as [Error Count],
	SubField('$(vScriptErrors)','|',2) as [Error Code],
	SubField('$(vScriptErrors)','|',3) as [Error Description],
	SubField('$(vScriptErrors)','|',4) as [Error Details],
    	SubField('$(vScriptErrors)','|',5) as [Error List]
Autogenerate(1);

I found that the Qlik help file is incomplete in describing the operation of these variables:

• ScriptErrorDetails variable is not listed in the help file
  • The fact that all script statements, including LET, will reset the contents of ScriptErrorCount , ScriptError and ScriptErrorDetails variables forcing you to record their contents in a single LET statement if your are interested in them

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/November2018/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Scripting/Er...