Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Usage of fields tags and field comments in QlikSens

Hi All

I don't understand the usage of tags and field comments in QlikSense. I get the part where the $dimension tag and the $measure tag facilitate easier browsing in the chart creation dialogs, but that is about what I understand.

My confusion relates to the tags and comments created in the script, i.e. during loading. My problem is that I don't see them in the sheet design process. I can verify the tags and comments created in the script using the data model viewer, but I don't see the big advantage in this.

1) I expected the tags and comments to be shown in the sheet-design where fields can be dragged in. Instead, only the field name and the table it belongs to are shown in the comment popup. The tags are not searchable.

2) I expected the comments and field tags to be "inherited" by the dimension/measure I created. Instead I have to re-create tags and comments, which will then be shown as comment and can be searched.

What am I missing? What is the power of tags/comments if they cannot be used in the sheet design?

Given that 1) and 2) does not seem to be implemented, I think it gives app developers a lot of extra work when they struggle to make the data model easily accessible, but then again, I may be missing the big picture 🙂

Hope you can give me some clues

Thank you

Thomas

2 Replies
jan_strand
Contributor II
Contributor II

Fully agree on this. I would be nice to be able to see the comment ie when single clicking the field if in the field assets list. Can we raise it to Qlik as an enhancement?

Regards

Jan
GregWP
Contributor II
Contributor II

I agree, what's the point?

I was hoping I could use field comments to incorporate some meta data from the DWH to aid with lineage etc. but its not very useful.

Does anyone have a document on how to make use of tags and comments please?