Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using multiple variables in ValueList that are AGG() functions

Hello everyone. I'm trying to get a pie chart built in Qlik Sense but I'm having some issues. I've got 2 variables

$(vTest1)

Sum(Aggr(

Only({<scheduleTypeId={7}>} scheduleValue) * Only({<metricId={101}>} hourlyValue)

,masterCalendarDate,locationId))

$(vTest2)

Sum(Aggr(

(Only({<metricId={1}>} hourlyValue) - Only({<scheduleTypeId={7}>} scheduleValue)) * Only({<metricId={102}>} hourlyValue)

And I want to put both of their values into a pie chart. I have the following expression as my Dimension:

ValueList('Test1','Test2')

and my Measure:

if(ValueList('Test1','Test2')='Test1',$(vTest1), $(vTest2))

With the following tables, I'm only seeing the value for Test1 show up in my pie chart

locationIdmasterCalendarDatemetricIdhourlyValue

12/31/2015 19:00

4312/31/2015 19:001011
4312/31/2015 19:001029
4312/31/2015 19:008768

locationIdmasterCalendarDatescheduleIdscheduleValue
4312/31/2015 19:0075

What I'm seeing is that if I put $(vTest1) and $(vTest2) into KPI I get the correct values (5 and 45). But I'm only seeing $(vTest1) in my pie chart. Here is a SS of my sheet. I'm not sure why the Pie Chart says I have negative or zero values since I can see that both are positive values. Any help or advice you've got is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Capture.PNG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Try these:

$(vTest1)

Sum(Aggr(NODISTINCT

Only({<scheduleTypeId={7}>} scheduleValue) * Only({<metricId={101}>} hourlyValue)

$(vTest2)

Sum(Aggr(NODISTINCT

(Only({<metricId={1}>} hourlyValue) - Only({<scheduleTypeId={7}>} scheduleValue)) * Only({<metricId={102}>} hourlyValue)

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

14 Replies
sunny_talwar

Would you be able to share you application here?

Not applicable
Author

Here's the .qvf

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Try these:

$(vTest1)

Sum(Aggr(NODISTINCT

$(vTest2)

Sum(Aggr(NODISTINCT

sunny_talwar

Yup that did it. Can you elaborate on why it wasn't working without NODISTINCT?

Not applicable
Author

This was the trick, and I'll follow up what Sunny said and ask why we need NODISTINCT here

Gysbert_Wassenaar

To be honest I haven't got the foggiest . I just figured that using aggr in combination with a synthetic dimension was bound to require some qlikvudu. Oleg‌‌ will probably say he explains it all in his book and we really really should buy it or attend the Qlik Masters Summit (just kidding Oleg). But perhaps Hernic‌‌ is willing to explain it for free

sunny_talwar

Qlikvudu

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

How did you know, gwassenaar‌ ? (just kidding 🙂

Sorry, I read it all backwards... so ignore the previous. Here is  the real explanation:

AGGR is DISTINCT by default, and by definition is produces a single value for each combination of the dimensions. So, this AGGR will produce one single value for each Location ID and Date.

The chart, however, includes a synthetic dimension "Test", which is not covered in the AGGR(). Out of the two chart lines only one line (the first) gets the single produced value and the second line will get a zero. Adding NODISTINCT makes the AGGR performed at each detailed line and produce multiple results for each combination of the dimensions. This is what makes this formula work in this case.

However, keep in mind that this fix is not universal! In many situations, NODISTINCT can heavily distort your results. I'd say that in those cases when AGGR() needs to be involved, I'd recommend avoiding synthetic dimensions and replacing them with actual Fields. A Field can be added as the extra dimension to the AGGR() function.

And yes, it is discussed in my book‌, along with demystifying  a lot of other mystery around AGGR. And it is surely part of the Masters Summit curriculum. Come and learn, it looks like even the best community experts would have something new to learn from both!

In my book and in my Masters Summit lecture, I call this phenomenon "The third law of AGGR", or "The safe/unsafe use of AGGR() in charts". I dare you to figure out what it means!

cheers,

Oleg

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I do agree, we always need to remember the default DISTINCTness of AGGR()

Issues with Aggr() and synthetic dimensions (but also with data islands) seem to pop-up sporadically since I am on this forum (no other solutions seen than NODISTINCT and sometimes replacing the valuelist() with a data island and adding the data island dimension field to the aggr() dimensions).

I also think this has something to do with what Henric called a grain mismatch:

Pitfalls of the Aggr function

It's just hard to understand why this also happens when the expressions uses in fact two different aggregations with two different aggr() functions (but with same aggr() dimensions used on both) for each synthetic dimension line.

Interestingly enough, the issue also appears with only a single aggr() function used, as long it's not appearing in the first dimension line:

=if(ValueList('Test1','Test2')='Test1','Constant', $(vTest2)) // no good

if(ValueList('Test1','Test2')='Test1',$(vTest2),'Constant') // ok

Oleg, I already bought your book, so I need to dig in again to find out why this happens.

Matt: In your specific example, I don't think you need the aggr() functions at all, this should return the same output, since your tables are linked by the relevant fields:

=Only({<scheduleTypeId={7}>} scheduleValue) * Only({<metricId={101}>} hourlyValue)

=(Only({<metricId={1}>} hourlyValue) - Only({<scheduleTypeId={7}>} scheduleValue)) * Only({<metricId={102}>} hourlyValue)