Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timsaddler
Creator III
Creator III

What to do with Qliksense when you already have a large Qlikview base

Last week , my company with the help of Qlik Uk finished the initial roll out of a Clustered "Qliksense" environment.

I like the look of this product and what this brings to the business in terms of usage of tablets and phones and data discovery.

However, the question I have is how I avoid just replicating the existing Qlikview Apps which are now established as the Prime methods for Commercial  and Financial reporting after 3-4 years of refinement.

I can see there is a danger of just producing a "lighter" version of data that already exists in Qlikview.

Before we jump in with both feet, has anybody else experienced this issue and what would they do to leverage ROI (Return on Investment) for the Qliksense product.

Also if you have done this , what would you NOT do ?

Interested to see what responses I get!

6 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Dear Tim,

The purpose of both the product is different.

QlikView is the best when it comes to guided analytic. Meaning your IT would take the requirement from business and build the report.

QlikSense is best when it comes to self BI. Meaning you wont require much intervention of IT to create dashboard. Business users them self can create their own dashboard and do their analysis.

In your organization you would need to find the proper user base who will be in need of such self BI power. Like analyst who will be more beneficial with Qlik Sense as they can play around the data which they want.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi Tim,

Qliksense can reduce the work load on a BI team as its a self service tool. Also you have the leverage to visualize data in a very intuitive way and response to any screen resolution/device.

You have more features like, the story creation and custom visual building using extensions which can give a whole new look of your data.

Thanks,

Sangram.

timsaddler
Creator III
Creator III
Author

these are good theoretical answers - thanks . But does anyone have any real business examples of how large Qlikview and Qliksense installs co-exist where Qlikview was already well established. Any examples mto

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Tim, I hear you loud and clear and though I am not experienced in this area, I do know people that can help. Allow me a few days to connect with them and see if they can produce some meaningful answers.

(Thank you Sangram and Kaushik for the replies, your participation is always appreciated and note worthy.)

When the time comes, please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Marcus_Spitzmiller

Hi Tim,

One thing you might do is look at it more from the standpoint of delivery and not as much the data.  It is true that many of our QlikView customers using Qlik Sense will leverage the hard work they've put into building their ETL, apps, QVDs, etc, because why not?  It makes sense to leverage that.  You can take a QVD or a QVW built in QlikView and expose that in Qlik Sense.  That is the data side and quite easy.

But the thing that Qlik Sense is enabling is a different delivery.  Take a look at this post Scaling Visual Analytics with Qlik Sense and if you look at the 'delivery patterns' slide in the video, I'm willing to bet your QlikView deployment is focused around the top left swim lane.  The idea is that Sense can open up the other swim lanes, too, and with that additional delivery, you will enable new players to become authors of new ways to look at things and share it, be it with new data sources, or new visualizations on top of existing data sources.

Some of the ROI then comes from increased velocity, of course, but when a user is empowered to not just consume, but become an author, and share, your organization will benefit from new insights that can be acted upon.  So, that may be a little theoretical, too, but hopefully it helps, and if you watch through the first half of that video, you should get an idea of some of the capabilities in Qlik Sense that you might not yet be aware of.  Hopefully that helps to spark some ideas and go after some use cases that might currently be under-served.

Thanks,

Marcus

timsaddler
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks msi‌ and mto

I've had a look at the youtube video mentioned and will ponder it over the next week or two!