Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lourens_smit
Contributor II
Contributor II

Workflow Integration with QlikSense

Hi All,

How would I go about calling a web service with a POST command from within Qliksense?

My client is attempting to integration Qliksense with their workflow application.   Integrating with Qliksense is simple enough when Qlik is on the receiving end, but how would I go about using Qliksense to trigger a workflow step using a webservice call?

Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.   Most of the reference information I have found so far refers only to Qlik being on the receiving end of the integration.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lourens

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You can build a small Qlik Sense Extension. From an extension you could do POST commands or any other things that a modern Web API would use.

You can find documentation here:

Widgets and extensions ‒ Qlik Sense Developers

Although the documentation emphasize the word "Visualization" all the time your extension needs not necessarily have more than a minimal visual part. So even a button, or a status text or a link could be a "visualization" in this sense. You would need some kind of interaction (submit) facility in Qlik Sense anyway to trigger the POST.

Another approach could be indirectly via the Advanced Analytics Integration (AAI). Here interactions with a back-end is automatically triggered through normal recalculations in Qlik. You can then use many different languages to perform the communication with you workflow software:

Advanced Analytics Integration

Although Qlik marketing prefers to brand this as Advanced Analytics the underlying mechanism they are using is called Server Side Extensions (SSE) which can employ any kind of remote server (foreign to Qlik) via Google RPC.

GitHub - qlik-oss/server-side-extension: A Qlik server-side extension protocol for extending the Qli...

This is an open source project BTW.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You can build a small Qlik Sense Extension. From an extension you could do POST commands or any other things that a modern Web API would use.

You can find documentation here:

Widgets and extensions ‒ Qlik Sense Developers

Although the documentation emphasize the word "Visualization" all the time your extension needs not necessarily have more than a minimal visual part. So even a button, or a status text or a link could be a "visualization" in this sense. You would need some kind of interaction (submit) facility in Qlik Sense anyway to trigger the POST.

Another approach could be indirectly via the Advanced Analytics Integration (AAI). Here interactions with a back-end is automatically triggered through normal recalculations in Qlik. You can then use many different languages to perform the communication with you workflow software:

Advanced Analytics Integration

Although Qlik marketing prefers to brand this as Advanced Analytics the underlying mechanism they are using is called Server Side Extensions (SSE) which can employ any kind of remote server (foreign to Qlik) via Google RPC.

GitHub - qlik-oss/server-side-extension: A Qlik server-side extension protocol for extending the Qli...

This is an open source project BTW.

lourens_smit
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you!  This is exactly the type of direction I was looking for.

fmarvnnt
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

The Advance Analytics URI/doc is no more visible