Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wizardo
Creator III
Creator III

debugging expression with $ sign expansion - how?

Hi,

in Qlikview, while hovering an expression header it was possible to see in the tooltip how qlikview interperts the $expansio before it evaluates the expression.

like {<Year={'$(=Max(Year))'}>} will show as

{<Year={'2018'}>}

i wasnt able to use this method in SENSE, it just show the original formula text if i dont put somthing in the lable property

anyone have an idea?:)

Thanks,

Daniel

4 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Although it is a little bit more cumbersome I often use the qsVariable extension to debug variables, set expressions and variables in sometimes multiple steps if necessary.

The qsVariable is to be found on branch.qlik.com and the code is hosted as usual on github:

Qlik Branch

https://github.com/erikwett/qsVariable

wizardo
Creator III
Creator III
Author

hi and thanks,

i know this extension and i imported it into my environment, but i couldn't find a way for it to help me in my request.

can you elaborate on how it helps showing what the $ expansion is evaluating to prior to evaluating the expression?

thanks again

Daniel

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you have a variable called vSetExp1 with the content {<Year={'$(=Max(Year))'}>} you can select this variable in the qsVariable properties. Then you could specify as title in the properties ='$(=Replace(vSetExp1,Chr(39),Chr(39)&Chr(39)))'  :

2018-05-14 13_38_14-Qlik Sense Desktop.png

2018-05-14 13_38_43-Qlik Sense Desktop.png

(I replaced Year with Date just because my data model didn't have a year field)

wizardo
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Petter,

Thank you very much, it is a viable workaround,

i even figured i don't actually need the QSvariable extension if i'm using a version of sense which have dynamic title/labels.

you can use it the same way as you described inside one.

the only drawback to this solution is that it requires one to create variables to hold the expressions one want to debug,

so I'm going to mark your reply for now as "Helpful" hoping a shorter solution is found by someone else.

for now since there is now other way i will definitely use your method.

maybe someone from qlik will pick up on this thread and change the objects in sense so when you don't put anything in the label of an expression and qlik shows the expression as title it will also pre-evaluate the $Sign-Expansion and show it in the label.

Thank you again for your efforts and time

p.s.

regardless of that i think the qsVariable extension is great and i use it a lot, so if you have any connections to the owner, please convey my gratitude

Daniel