Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bc5891
Contributor III
Contributor III

help: variance waterfall chart extension

Hi guys, 

I am trying to implement the Qliksense variance waterfall chart and am having some issues.  The example shown in the help documentation has 3 fields: e.g. qtr, sales and budget

qtr, sales, budget

1,    9, 10

2,  12, 9

3, 10, 10

I can see that it would sum budget as the "start" option and then sum sales for the "end" and then movements are calculated between the budget vs sales per quarter.

In my dataset I have 1 value field.   within the one field I have the opening balance and closing balance, and the movements pre-calculated in between... as shown below:

balance_typeVALUE
A - OPENING1000
B - MOVEMENT 1400
C - MOVEMENT 2-100
D - MOVEMENT 3200
E - CLOSING1500

My question is - can the waterfall variance extension be used to build this chart?

The requirements are that the chart should be dynamic so it should not just be individual expressions for each column.  Secondly, there should be drill down functionality, meaning that we can go to a more granular level of detail.

I have looked at other attempts at creating waterfall charts also without the extension but i think the issue in the charts I've analysed is that when the first column is negative the visualisation is unclear as all "negative" values are converted into absolute values.

If anyone can look at my small table below and think that they can use the extension to get the desired outcome I would be very keen to see it.

Many thanks

Labels (2)
1 Reply
bc5891
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Just a "bump" to see if anyone has ideas on the query above?

thanks in advance all!