Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

how to cancel load script without freezing QlikView

Is there a correct way to exit the load script when an error message has been displayed? My experience--and everyone else I know who works with QlikView--is that we must always save QlikView before reloading because at least half the time, even a simple syntax error in the load script leads to early termination of the load, followed by the choice to "End Here" or "Abort." It seems like whichever option is chosen, Qlik just hangs and I have to go to the task manager to kill it and restart it.

This happens with small .qvw files (under 1MB) as well as larger 100-300MB files I work with.

I am embarrassed to admit this is a daily occurrence for the past 3 years...and I know at least 3 other people with the same experience. We just work around the buggy nature of QlikView, but I finally thought I would post the question and see if there is something I'm missing.

Using 64-bit QlikView 12.0.20400.0 for Windows

Steps to reproduce:

1. have a syntax error in the load script; e.g. LOAD ... where exists (wrongfieldname)

2. reload

3. see script error pop up: "Field not found - <wrongfieldname>

SQL select ...

4. click OK

5. Wait forever, click abort, or click end here

6. open task manager and kill qlik

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

4. click OK

Try clicking Cancel instead.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

it would be nice if it were that easy, but it's not

ingo_lsg
Contributor III
Contributor III

I've made the same experiences. Normally clicking Abort is better than the "End here" button.

But yes it crashes often

marcus_sommer

I couldn't say anything to QV 12 but in the earlier releases it worked in my opinion like expected. Clicking on abort by the error-message ends the execution (nearly always - I couldn't actually remember one) without a crash of qlikview and clicking on ok. goes forward with the script-execution and will lead quite often to consequential errors because tables/fields are missing - mostly without a crash.

It crashed only if there is an unfixable state - more often you will get an incompletely datamodel which contained (a lot of) synthetic keys which might need huge resources on CPU + RAM to be calculated and this might result in an unresponsible application because the calculations aren't finished - and quote often you will terminate the task on this point.

If it happens to me I know that I have made a mistake and wasn't carefully enough to check my actions (and it happens more often then it should be, for example by commenting anything in or out) but not that there is an error in Qlikview.

Quite helpful by developing /maintaining an application is to work with a reduced dataset - reduced qvd's or a limitation within the debugger or maybe a first-statement by the biggest tables - and saving and restoring the application will be very fast compared to a full-reload.

- Marcus