cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skyline01
Creator
Creator

how to fill in missing dimension values

I am working in Qlik Sense.  I have a very simple star schema data model.  One of the dimension tables is for dates, with columns like month name and quarter.  It is completed populated between some extreme date range.

I have a line visualization, with month name as my dimension (referenced from the date dimension table).  My measure has a set expression in it.  Because of the set expression, I have noticed that some dimension values (month names) do not appear.  I have confirmed that the given dimension values are resulting from "missing" rows in my fact table.

I have a request to include all possible month name values in the visualization.  How can I achieve this?  I know that one solution would be to fill in the gaps in my fact table.  However, that isn't feasible in my situation.  Is there perhaps an alternative (and, hopefully, easier to implement) solution?

2 Replies
aworrall
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi, have you tried to create a master calendar?

http://youtu.be/ScdIQvWzVFs

skyline01
Creator
Creator
Author

I'm not sure how a master calendar will resolve my problem.  I have a completely populated date table.  So, a master calendar will just be a replication of that table.  The problem is that I have holes in my fact table.  Because a set expression operates over the entire data model, the holes in my fact table effectively get replicated in my date table (at visualization time, not at data load time).