Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmarchese
Creator II
Creator II

master calendar best practice - use qvd?

Regarding master calendars, which approach is preferred?

1. Create one master calendar qvd file with every column and date your company may ever need.  For each app, load just the relevant columns and just the relevant date range from that file and rename the columns as needed.  If you need multiple calendars in an app, load from that qvd multiple times.
  2. Don't use a qvd and instead generate calendars as needed within individual apps.
  3. Something else?

Approach 1 would result in an unoptimized load if you did something like "WHERE date > x AND date < y" though, right?  That's the impression I got from this thread.  So you'd end up generating the list of dates in code anyway (via autogenerate or while) in order to make use of use EXISTS in your WHERE clause and get the optimized load.  Correct?  If that's the case, then approach 1 isn't really an obvious winner, but approach 2 seems sloppy (I dislike copying and pasting the same code all over the place).  Or maybe such an optimized load doesn't really matter and is just a premature optimization since the calendar table will only contain tens of thousands of rows at most?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

I would suggest the unoptimized load of QVD for Master Calendar Data wont be an issue, as it will have very small about of data. The best approach is 1st where you have the QVD which you can use in all Apps.

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, 

I would suggest the unoptimized load of QVD for Master Calendar Data wont be an issue, as it will have very small about of data. The best approach is 1st where you have the QVD which you can use in all Apps.

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!