Qlik Community

Qlik Sense Cloud Discussions

blutunes
New Contributor III

Associate data table with 2 fields?

Hi,

I am new to Qlik Sense and need help from the experts. I have a relatively simple data model with tables that need to be associated by 2 fields (client, teams). Primary keys are of course single fields. My current result is that all of my tables are related by the client field. Works well for client-level analysis, but I'm not able to get the team-level analysis.

I generated the attached diagram to explain what I'm dealing with. One option I noted is to create a concatenated primary key field (client-team). I also came across Qlik documentation that mentioned synthetic keys, but it says that Qlik would automatically generate it if appropriate; that doesn't happen.

Any recommendations? Your help and insight is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!!

Jon

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Employee
Employee

Re: Associate data table with 2 fields?

Hi Jon  - thanks for your question and welcome to the Qlik Community.

We will be happy to get you the help you need, have you had a chance to look at this video which covers this topic? Let me know if this helps - if not we will continue to troubleshoot.

Qlik Sense 3.0 - Creating a Composite / Compound / Custom Key

Main Video Index: New to Qlik Sense Videos

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

7 Replies
Employee
Employee

Hi Jon  - thanks for your question and welcome to the Qlik Community.

We will be happy to get you the help you need, have you had a chance to look at this video which covers this topic? Let me know if this helps - if not we will continue to troubleshoot.

Qlik Sense 3.0 - Creating a Composite / Compound / Custom Key

Main Video Index: New to Qlik Sense Videos

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

Employee
Employee

BTW here is a video on synthetic keys:

Qlik Sense in 60 - Synthetic Keys - YouTube

More in 60 videos in case you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dEm_EOzrtY&list=PLW1uf5CQ_gSpuFutN7IbRfzWeI1kgGZrH

vinieme12
Esteemed Contributor II

Can you post a sample excel that best represents the dataset you are working with?

Or maybe you just need to create new key that is combination of both Client and Team and retain Team info in only one of the tables!

something like

LOAD

Client&'_'&Team as KEY

blutunes
New Contributor III

Thanks Michael. I appreciate the help. I will dive in to that video and respond based on what I find to address my data association need.

Jon

blutunes
New Contributor III

Hi Vineeth,

Thanks for responding. I was also thinking that combo key is probably the solution, but didn't know if Qlik can support the associations without creating the new field. After I investigate the videos from Michael, I will respond with what I have learned.

Thanks again, Jon

vinieme12
Esteemed Contributor II

While Synthetic keys are harmless in simpler situations like yours, it's still best to create your own key to avoid that Synthetic key table

blutunes
New Contributor III

Michael,

That video on Compound/Composite key was exactly what I needed. Thank you! In general, it looks like those videos are a great place to start.

Thank again, Jon