Qlik Community

Qlik Sense Cloud Discussions

blutunes
New Contributor III

Common calendar between 2 different tables

Hello Experts,

I have seen some posts for this although some are older and it's not clear what the simplest approach for this is. Here's my scenario:

• Trying to create a bar chart with year and month as the dimension and a calculated field as the measure.
  • Data sources is 2 different tables. Each table has a date field and a field used in the calculation.
    • Timesheet table containing 'hours' with a date stamp for each entry
    • Results table containing 'appointments' with a date stamp for each entry
  • Calculated field: hours per appt = hours / appointments
  • For the dimension, I can use the year/month from the Timesheet table or the Results table, not both.
    • PROBLEM: If I use the Timesheet table year and month dimension, the 'hours' for a specific month/year period is correct, but the Results table 'appointments' sum for all records, not just the specific month/year period.
  • I tried linking the date fields between the tables, but a circular reference is created (already an association by client).

Apologies if this is a repeat question. I will reference other postings if I can get some direction on the right approach.

Thanks!

Jon

13 Replies
blutunes
New Contributor III

Re: Common calendar between 2 different tables

Looks there are concepts for Canonical Dates and Master Calendar as potential approaches to link all date fields to a "common calendar" to use as a dimension and in filters. Nothing on those topics in the help menu. Am I wrong to think this is a common need? Will continue to look through community posts to figure it out. Any help finding the simplest solution is greatly appreciated!

Highlighted
blutunes
New Contributor III

I've found this video by Michael Tarrallo for Master Calendar... Understanding the Master Calendar (video)

Take a look at this tutorial. Download the Sense example by clicking the "S" icon.

Qlikview Cookbook: Tutorial - Using Common Date Dimensions http://qlikviewcookbook.com/recipes/download-info/tutorial-using-common-date-dimensions/

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://qlikviewcookbook.com

blutunes
New Contributor III

Thanks Rob. I downloaded that qvf file and took at look... impressive work. In my case I am trying to get the dates from 3 tables to relate to the same calendar months, although the records in those tables do not relate to a single record ID (like OrderID in your case). My general goal is to sum a value in one table for a calendar month and then divide that sum by the count of records in another table for that same calendar month. The tables are related by a Team-Client field. Please see my attached data model. With this in mind, is the approach you shared still appropriate?

Thanks Rob! I really appreciate your guidance.

2017-08-30_19-14-20.jpg

I believe the suggest approach would work. The key in the DateLink table Client-Team.

-Rob

robert99
Valued Contributor II

Hi

I'm interested if this approach works or not. For this reason

"although the records in those tables do not relate to a single record ID (like OrderID in your case)."

If not this thread might help

Canonical Date

They shouldn't need to map to a single row. As long as there is a common key field (Client-Team in this example), the DateLink table will link all the many-to-many relationships. .

-Rob

blutunes
New Contributor III

I wanted to add something I learned in this effort. One thing that is probably obvious to these experts which I did not know, is that getting all tables to relate to the same month and year of a filter has to do with the Data Load Editor...

In the LOAD script for each table, I added two lines: one to assign the year of a date to 'Year' and one to assign the month of each date to 'Month'...

Original script line:

[CallDate],

Added script lines:

Year([CallDate]) as Year,

Month([CallDate]) as Month,

By doing that for all table load scripts, I can then use 'Year' and 'Month' as a filter that will filter all tables in the app and also use those fields in the x-axis for charts that use data from different tables. I'm sure you experts see this as a no brainer, but it took me time to figure that out so I thought I'd share.

Thanks again for everyone that helps and contributes to this community... it's a huge help.

blutunes
New Contributor III

Ok, it seems that is not a solution. While it worked initially for the filtering and charting for single Year and Month fields, upon reloading the data (i.e., running the load script) I received the error "Duplicate Derived Value" as noted in the attached image. I thought I was so close!

Anyone have an ideas how to make this work? I also included my load script under the error message image.

2017-09-17_18-09-11.jpg

Set dataManagerTables = '','Clients','Contracted Hours','LeadStatus','Dials','Timesheets';

//This block renames script tables from non generated section which conflict with the names of managed tables

For each name in $(dataManagerTables)

Let index = 0;

Let currentName = name;

Let tableNumber = TableNumber(name);

Let matches = 0;

Do while not IsNull(tableNumber) or (index > 0 and matches > 0)

index = index + 1;

currentName = name & '-' & index;

tableNumber = TableNumber(currentName)

matches = Match('$(currentName)', $(dataManagerTables));

Loop

If index > 0 then

Rename Table '$(name)' to '$(currentName)';

EndIf;

Next;

[Clients]:

LOAD [Client],

[Status],

[Account Manager],

[Category]

FROM [lib://AttachedFiles/Clients.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Clients);

[Contracted Hours]:

LOAD [Client],

[Date Added],

[Contract Month],

Year([Contract Month]) as Year,

Month([Contract Month]) as Month,

[Month

(Hrs)],

[Remaining from Previous Month (Hrs)],

[Total Month (Hrs)]

FROM [lib://AttachedFiles/Clients_Contracted Hours.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is [Contracted Hours]);

[LeadStatus]:

LOAD

[ProjectName] AS [Client],

[Team],

[ContactsID],

[LeadStatus],

[ResultGroup],

[Company],

[Title],

[FullName],

[Business],

[Business ext.],

[Mobile],

[Address1],

[Address2],

[City],

[State],

[ZipCode],

[Email],

[Web site],

[LastOfResult],

[LastOfCallDate],

Year([LastOfCallDate]) as Year,

Month([LastOfCallDate]) as Month,

[LastOfCallTime],

[LastOfDuration],

[LastOfComment],

[LeadSourceName]

FROM [lib://AttachedFiles/Leads_VS.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is LeadStatus);

[Dials]:

LOAD

[ProjectName] AS [Client],

[Team] AS [Dials.Team],

[ContactsID] AS [Dials.ContactsID],

[CallDate],

Year([CallDate]) as Year,

Month([CallDate]) as Month,

[CallTime],

[Duration],

[Result],

[UpdateUserNameLastFirst],

[Comments]

FROM [lib://AttachedFiles/Dials_VS.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Dials);

[Timesheets]:

LOAD

[username],

[payroll_id],

[fname],

[lname],

[number],

[group],

[local_date],

Year([local_date]) as Year,

Month([local_date]) as Month,

[local_day],

[local_start_time],

[local_end_time],

[tz],

[hours],

[jobcode_1] AS [Client],

[jobcode_2],

[location],

[notes],

[approved_status]

FROM [lib://AttachedFiles/Timesheets_TS.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Timesheets);

[autoCalendar]:

DECLARE FIELD DEFINITION Tagged ('$date')

FIELDS

Dual(Year($1), YearStart($1)) AS [Year] Tagged ('$axis', '$year'),

Dual('Q'&Num(Ceil(Num(Month($1))/3)),Num(Ceil(NUM(Month($1))/3),00)) AS [Quarter] Tagged ('$quarter', '$cyclic'),

Dual(Year($1)&'-Q'&Num(Ceil(Num(Month($1))/3)),QuarterStart($1)) AS [YearQuarter] Tagged ('$yearquarter', '$qualified'),

Dual('Q'&Num(Ceil(Num(Month($1))/3)),QuarterStart($1)) AS [_YearQuarter] Tagged ('$yearquarter', '$hidden', '$simplified'),

Month($1) AS [Month] Tagged ('$month', '$cyclic'),

Dual(Year($1)&'-'&Month($1), monthstart($1)) AS [YearMonth] Tagged ('$axis', '$yearmonth', '$qualified'),

Dual(Month($1), monthstart($1)) AS [_YearMonth] Tagged ('$axis', '$yearmonth', '$simplified', '$hidden'),

Dual('W'&Num(Week($1),00), Num(Week($1),00)) AS [Week] Tagged ('$weeknumber', '$cyclic'),

Date(Floor($1)) AS [Date] Tagged ('$axis', '$date', '$qualified'),

Date(Floor($1), 'D') AS [_Date] Tagged ('$axis', '$date', '$hidden', '$simplified'),

If (DayNumberOfYear($1) <= DayNumberOfYear(Today()), 1, 0) AS [InYTD] ,

Year(Today())-Year($1) AS [YearsAgo] ,

If (DayNumberOfQuarter($1) <= DayNumberOfQuarter(Today()),1,0) AS [InQTD] ,

4*Year(Today())+Ceil(Month(Today())/3)-4*Year($1)-Ceil(Month($1)/3) AS [QuartersAgo] ,

Ceil(Month(Today())/3)-Ceil(Month($1)/3) AS [QuarterRelNo] ,

If(Day($1)<=Day(Today()),1,0) AS [InMTD] ,

12*Year(Today())+Month(Today())-12*Year($1)-Month($1) AS [MonthsAgo] ,

Month(Today())-Month($1) AS [MonthRelNo] ,

If(WeekDay($1)<=WeekDay(Today()),1,0) AS [InWTD] ,

(WeekStart(Today())-WeekStart($1))/7 AS [WeeksAgo] ,

Week(Today())-Week($1) AS [WeekRelNo] ;

DERIVE FIELDS FROM FIELDS [Date Added], [Contract Month], [LastOfCallDate], [CallDate], [local_date], [local_start_time], [local_end_time] USING [autoCalendar] ;

Community Browser