Qlik Community

Qlik Sense Cloud Discussions

wesbrowning
New Contributor III

Qlik Sense Cloud: Timeline chart with date/event markers (vertical reference lines)

I am wondering if there is a way to create a bar/line chart displaying data as usual but to also add vertical reference lines as date/event markers.  I've attached an example showing vertical bars marking important days/events along the timeline (used Photoshop to add vertical bars).

The basics of what I want here (and in additional charts) is to show trending data over time and be able to inject reference lines according to important dates, such as software release dates, GA dates, project completion dates, etc... This helps to show reference to what's trending against dates changes occurred.  The date markers will come from an additional table of all events by date.  Does that make sense? 

My apologies if this is super easy and I simply missed it... Have been staring at these too long sometimes.  Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
luismadriz
Valued Contributor

Re: Qlik Sense Cloud: Timeline chart with date/event markers (vertical reference lines)

Hi Wes,

Not as pretty as what you've done (well, who can compete with Photoshop right!) but you could do a combo chart where you'll have a common dimension (Dates), the bars as the Events (Value of 1 for example) on the primary axis and the rest of the Measures as Lines on the secondary axis. You need to work it a bit but I think you're onto something really nice.

I gave it a go and could create something like this using Combo Charts

Untitled.png

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Luis

3 Replies
luismadriz
Valued Contributor

Re: Qlik Sense Cloud: Timeline chart with date/event markers (vertical reference lines)

Hi Wes,

Not as pretty as what you've done (well, who can compete with Photoshop right!) but you could do a combo chart where you'll have a common dimension (Dates), the bars as the Events (Value of 1 for example) on the primary axis and the rest of the Measures as Lines on the secondary axis. You need to work it a bit but I think you're onto something really nice.

I gave it a go and could create something like this using Combo Charts

Untitled.png

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Luis

robert99
Valued Contributor II

luismadriz
Valued Contributor

Hi Wes,

Did it work for you?

Please let me know,

Luis

PS. When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as Correct. This will help community members know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark replies as Helpful if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as Helpful if you feel additional info is useful to others

Community Browser