Qlik Community

Qlik Sense Cloud Discussions

blutunes
New Contributor III

Update Qlik Sense Cloud with Excel file?

Hey,

Anyone had success using an Excel file to update Sense Cloud? Built an app with 5 excel files, and would like to replace the files (just appended records) as needed to update my dashboard.

In my tests, adding a file with the same filename does replace the file, but breaks that table's association. Not good.

Basically I'm looking for the simplest way to update Qlik with flat files for a low tech person to regularly update. I am using the free version of Sense Cloud as I'm testing a solution on Qlik before paying. Any recs or insight is greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

6 Replies
blutunes
New Contributor III

Re: Update Qlik Sense Cloud with Excel file?

I see that there are two potential file locations for the cloud: Attached Files, Data Files

It seems that Attached Files will be part of the specific app and the Data Files available to any app. Not sure which option works better for regular updating of those files, but will test.

http://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-cloud/Subsystems/CloudHub/Content/LoadData/adding-data-existing-sou...

blutunes
New Contributor III

One finding from testing: Using the "Add Data" from the drop-down menu in the upper left does appear to replace the file without breaking associations. Clicking the "+" in the Data Manager (associations view) is what did not work previously (replaced the file and broke associations).

Employee
Employee

A nice way of reading from files is to place them in dropbox and read them using the web file connector. This way You will not need to copy files around.

Then if You edit the files in place or update in dropbox the changes will be read once You rerun Your loadscript (if free or plus account is used) or when You refresh the app through manual reload or scheduled reload (if You use QSCB).

Take the shared link to the file that dropbox creates (which looks like www.dropbox.com/s/yadayada.xlsx?dl=0 and replace the last 0 with 1) and You will be good to go.

BR

Lucke

blutunes
New Contributor III

Thanks Lucke. That sounds like what I'm looking for. Will test the dropbox approach. Currently I have the files within the app. Do you know if switching source files works without "breaking" the app?... from files within the app to links to dropbox files.

Employee
Employee

As long as field names and sheet names are the same You shold be ok.

Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Hi Jonathan, please be aware that Web File using a dropbox url is an non-secure approach - as authentication to the source is not supported and the URL must be public. A more secure approach would be to use the REST connector with the dropbox REST / HTTP API as I show in the video in this post:

Update your Qlike Sense Cloud Business workgroup data files with REST and Dropbox - Proof of Concept

however, the REST connector is only available with a Qlik Sense Cloud Business subscription.

Also - with Web File you can use these approaches:

Connecting to Web Data with Web File Connector

Just wanted to add my 2 cents, HTH

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Michael Tarallo (@mtarallo) | Twitter

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Community Browser