Qlik Community

Qlik Sense Cloud Discussions

Employee
Employee

Update your Qlik Sense Cloud Business workgroup data files with REST and Dropbox - Proof of Concept

restDrop.png

NOTE: I am aware that the Web File Connector can be used to do something like this much easier BUT Web File is not available in Qlik Sense Cloud. You can also use a Dropbox URL to access a file without the Dropbox REST API if the file is in a public folder.

Hi Guys - I have see many on the Qlik Sense Cloud forums asking about how is it possible to automatically update the data files that one uploads to the group workspace of Qlik Sense Cloud Business. In short - it's not possible at the moment. You would need to manually upload the new data files to refresh, update, overwrite them etc. (assuming they contain new data). Connectivity is a big focus for Qlik Sense Cloud this year and I want you to know that we are aware of this gap and we are working on a possible automated solution to address this. I know many of you want to take advantage of the automated task scheduling and data refresh that comes with Qlik Sense Cloud Business, but if you are not using sources such as Salesforce or Qlik DataMarket at the moment - it really defeats the purpose unless you remember to upload the latest data file.

I think I have a possible interim solution for you when the REST Connector becomes available in Qlik Sense Cloud Business shortly. I tested this out and it seemed to work and I wanted to share it with you. In short, I am using the REST Connector and the Dropbox HTTP (REST) API to retrieve files from Dropbox and feed them into Qlik Sense. Watch this 5 min video to learn more. Note: I am not taking into consideration "other" factors - this is more a proof-of-concept at this point. Enjoy!

Note: You would need a 3rd party task/tool to move the updated file from your systems to the dropbox folder.

NOTE: To increase resolution or size of the video, select the YouTube logo at the bottom right of the player. You will be brought directly to YouTube where you can increase the resolution and size of the player window. Look for the 'settings' gears icon in the lower right of the player once at YouTube.

Can't see the video? YouTube blocked? Download the .mp4 attached to this document.

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
17 Replies
Employee
Employee

Re: Update your QSCB data files with REST and Dropbox - Proof of Concept

Hi Mike. Good information that was new to me. Not sure, though, why you're using REST connector via Dropbox API to load Dropbox-based data files. I think, what you are showing here could also be done with "create link" feature of Dropbox. This composes a link like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy9uywggsj0p9py/SalesOrder%20Dimensions.txt?dl=0. Just change the "?dl=0" into "?dl=1" and Qlik script can directly pick it (also with the connection type "Web file"). Bye

Employee
Employee

Re: Update your QSCB data files with REST and Dropbox - Proof of Concept

Hi Christof - yes you are correct Web File - can be used much easier (Enterprise and Desktop) BUT the Web File Connection is NOT Available with Qlik Sense Cloud Business. I was coming up with a possibly solution for Qlik Sense Cloud Business.

Thanks for your comments and support!

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable

Re: Update your Qlike Sense Cloud Business workgroup data files with REST and Dropbox - Proof of Concept

Thanks for the tutorial Mike

Is there a reason why you're specifically using Dropbox for the REST connection? If we have SQL server write CSV files to Sharepoint, could we establish a REST connection from QCSB that way?

Employee
Employee

Re: Update your Qlike Sense Cloud Business workgroup data files with REST and Dropbox - Proof of Concept

Hey Scott... welcome :-)

No specific reason, just something I thought was easy to paint the picture of what I was trying to accomplish.

As long as your platform supports REST and the endpoints bring back data, you should be able to use whatever platform you want.

Thanks for your question.

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Employee
Employee

Hi Christof - I just got more information on this - you were not so far off - I see if the file (MUST BE CSV)  is created in a DropBox "public" folder you can create a public link and use that directly in the REST Connector URL: as:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47401437/gettingstarteddata.csv

I'm sure there are a few ways to play around with what URLs work and do not etc. Note: the way in the video using the REST interface provided by DropBox - I believe is a more secure approach as it requires authorization headers and tokens, so therefore your data is only accessible with that security information.

Stay well

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable

Hi, when will be available rest for cloud?

Cheers

Not applicable

I'm wondering the same thing. Any thoughts, Michael?

robert99
Valued Contributor II

Me too

Qlik really need to pull finger on this. They are moving overall now at too much of a snails pace. Esp with Power BI closing the gap month by month. Even Amazon might get their act together as well.

Highlighted
shl
Contributor

Hi Robert,

We at Qlik, and probably all Qlik Sense Cloud users couldn't agree with you more!  We have taken a bit more time than hoped, but invested in additional security architectural enhancements, to ensure the highest degree of integrity to our system, as we expand our connectivity functionality.

Having completed this investment, you will now see a much faster rate of connectivity options deployed to QSCB. Stay tuned for more information in the short future.

We continue to be interested in hearing what connectors are of highest interest, so please feel free to continue to share your thoughts and insights.

Sarah Kohler

Director, Product Management, Qlik Cloud

Community Browser