Qlik Community

Qlik Sense Cloud Discussions

bohemia_group
New Contributor

WEB file connector brakes when dashboard is duplicated

Hi,

I have set up an app/dashboard which loads data from a WEB file.

Since ~month ago when I duplicate an app the WEB file connector disappears.

Question: how to keep the WEB file connector persistent and defined inside app so I could:

1) Ideally, upload download

2) At least duplicate/share an app

without loosing connector and redefining it again and again.

Thank you in advance!

Warm regards,

Alex

9 Replies
Employee
Employee

Re: WEB file connector brakes when dashboard is duplicated

Hi,

This is how the design is intended to work at the moment.

I am not aware of any workaround that would enable copying an app while keeping the connection.

Regards

Lucke

bohemia_group
New Contributor

Hi Lucke,

thank you for feedback.

Any suggestion then how to develop / version the apps?

E.g. one app is shown to a client, another is a copy used for development.

If every time we duplicate the app WEB connectors are lost...

It sound like a rich source of human errors for me if one needs to redefine the connector again and again...

Warm regards,

Alex

Employee
Employee

Hi Alex,

Can You not have the "master" app for development in the workspace and make copies that are "backups" in the workspace?

Then as You develop the "master"-app, when deemed done You publish changes to the stream where the users are using the app?

That way You only need to copy connection details should You want to revert to a backed up version of the app?

Would this way of working simplify things You think?

BR

Lucke

robert99
Valued Contributor II

Hi

I thought this was a bug. It seems to make no sense to design it this way

Employee
Employee

No comments...

//Lucke

Employee
Employee

Hello shl‌ - Hi Sarah - can you provide some input on this discussion?

Thanks

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
shl
Contributor

Hello Alex!

Confirming the connector is not breaking, but indeed is constructed to be defined uniquely for each app, rather than a centralized object that can be reused across apps and environments (e.g., Desktop and Cloud).

Qlik Sense Cloud Business follows some different design principles than our (Enterprise) Server-based approach (found in Qlik Sense Enterprise/QSE).  The ability to centralize and re-use connections in QSE is related to a central administration concept where connections are secured and managed in QMC.  In QSCB, we are attempting to democratize administration and empower users to self-serve more easily, yet address higher level and different security considerations that cloud users must be very diligent about.

I'd love to discuss in more detail your ideas given the limitations you see in how you are using our technology today and figure out if we need to adjust things or perhaps better explain the architecture and implications to our user-base.

You can reach me at sarah.kohler@qlik.com and we can schedule some time to talk in more detail.

Thanks so much for voicing your questions here on Community - I am sure you are not alone and we'd love to hear more!

Sarah Kohler

Director, Product Mgmt, Qlik Cloud

robert99
Valued Contributor II

Hi Sarah

"Qlik Sense Cloud Business follows some different design principles than our"

Can I suggest your design features might need to be reconsidered in this regard. Because when I duplicate an App I would prefer the connections to remain intact. And can see no logical reason why anyone would want differently.

Especially due to the limited features still in QSCB

For example only being able to automatically update once a day. I know this can be easily manually done at any time but another way to get around this is to have say a morning, afternoon and evening App (the same App but the update times just set differently). Yet every time a change is made for the main App (morning App) the duplication feature requires all the links to be reset.

I have also suggested using the Personal My Work for a manager who wants Export Data (and self service - he had used the Personal edition ...) and self service. Yet likewise all the web links are lost.

craigleach
New Contributor III

Sarah,

I must say that this design makes development very difficult compared to Qlik Sense Enterprise. I'm struggling to make backup copies of apps with REST data sources.  These data sources are removed from copies and downloaded backups requiring me to work on the published app directly. A very undesirable situation.

Regards,

Craig Leach

Community Browser