Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ichimiike
Partner - Contributor III

Building a data layer

Hi there,

I'm just getting started on this whole Qlik Sense adventure and, so far, haven't had too many real issues when building apps based on our SQL Server database.

One thing I AM struggling with though is building a 'common' data layer.

In our initial discussions with Qlik, their guys mentioned something about having a data layer / qvd layer which could potentially be passed on to our users for them to use...The only thing I've found so far though is the data-modelling within each individual app.

From what I understood, we should be able to create a series of individual data-models which can then be used (either individually or combined) when building apps.

I suspect I need to create some QVD files which would then be saved centrally,,, But there doesn't appear to be an option to do this in Sense (or at least not that I've managed to find).

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Mat

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Hi,

The storing of QVD files is done by a simple line of script using the STORE command.

http://help.qlik.com/sense/2.1/en-US/online/#../Subsystems/Hub/Content/Scripting/ScriptRegularStatem...

Example:

Store TableName into TableName.qvd;

This way you can do all the data modeling in a load of a Sense file that you maintain and schedule on the server and let it create a bunch of nicely cleaned QVD files for your power users to use as source files.

Hope this helps.

May you live in interesting times!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Hi,

The storing of QVD files is done by a simple line of script using the STORE command.

http://help.qlik.com/sense/2.1/en-US/online/#../Subsystems/Hub/Content/Scripting/ScriptRegularStatem...

Example:

Store TableName into TableName.qvd;

This way you can do all the data modeling in a load of a Sense file that you maintain and schedule on the server and let it create a bunch of nicely cleaned QVD files for your power users to use as source files.

Hope this helps.

May you live in interesting times!
ichimiike
Author

Hi Onno,

Cheers for the info... I've had a play around and have managed to get the QVD files going now

thanks again,

Mat