Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canerkan
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Changing file path of data source (xlsx)

Hi everyone! I want to put my data sources from my C drive on the server of our company. Unfortunately I don't get to change the file path for my sources in my app. Can anyone help me? I guess I should be able to do that with the data editor but as i don't really know how to use it, I am afraid to damage anything. I am using Qlik Sense Desktop. Thank you very much in advance!
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Thiago_Justen_

Here it is. If you have any doubts, please let me know.

Cheers

Thiago Justen Teixeira Gonçalves
Farol BI
WhatsApp: 24 98152-1675

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Thiago_Justen_

I'm not sure if it will work for you, but think about it...

Cheers

Farol BI
acbishop2
Creator
Creator

It really isn't that difficult to change the file path, so if you have access to the data load editor, go for it!

First, if you don't already have Qlik looking at the location on your server where the file will be, you'll have to create that connection. Do so by clicking on "Create new connection" at the top right of the data load editor and choose the file path by clicking on "All files." You'll have to give your connection a name so that it can be referenced in the load script.

Once that's created, you should be able to just go to the part of the script that is looking at the file and change whatever is between "lib://" and your file name, e.g. if your current connection looks like this:

[Data]:
LOAD
[Column 1],
[Column 2]
FROM [lib://OldConnectionName/FileName.xlsx]
(ooxml, embedded labels, table is [Data]);

then you'll just need to change the part in bold below:

[Data]:
LOAD 
[Column 1],
[Column 2]
FROM [lib://NewConnectionName/FileName.xlsx]

Qlik will now be looking for your file in the new folder you pointed it to (with the connection you set up). Hope this helps!

acbishop2
Creator
Creator

It really isn't that difficult to change the file path, so if you have access to the data load editor, go for it!

First, if you don't already have Qlik looking at the location on your server where the file will be, you'll have to create that connection. Do so by clicking on "Create new connection" at the top right of the data load editor and choose the file path by clicking on "All files." You'll have to give your connection a name so that it can be referenced in the load script.

Once that's created, you should be able to just go to the part of the script that is looking at the file and change whatever is between "lib://" and your file name, e.g. if your current connection looks like this:

[Data]:
LOAD
[Column 1],
[Column 2]
FROM [lib://OldConnectionName/FileName.xlsx]

then you'll just need to change the part in bold below:

[Data]:
LOAD 
[Column 1],
[Column 2]
FROM [lib://NewConnectionName/FileName.xlsx]

Qlik will now be looking for your file in the new folder you pointed it to (with the connection you set up). Hope this helps!

canerkan
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Thank you! I won't be able to try this solution until tomorrow but i'll come back at you after i tried it.

Have a good one

canerkan
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Thiago_justen,

thank your for your data. I tried to unpack it but unfortunately the IT in my company didn't let me download a programm to unpack such files. Would you be as kind as to upload it as a .zip file (if possible). I am able to unpack these without needing another programm. You would help me a lot!

Thanks again,

Can

Thiago_Justen_

Here it is. If you have any doubts, please let me know.

Cheers

Farol BI
canerkan
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi Thiago_justen,

Your gif was great! But I'm afraid this goes right over my head.. I don't understand why I need a Connection for a Transformation. Can you explain me, what is getting transformed?

I can see at the LOAD_TABLES Statemant, that you are loading a .txt file.. In my case it is a .xlsx file.. Do I stil need to write

(txt, utf8, no labels, delimiter is '\t', msq);

under FROM [$(vLoad)/... or should it be

(xlsx, utf8, no labels, delimiter is '\t', msq);   ?

I guess, after I understand more of it, there will be coming a few more questions..

I am very happy, someone's helping me. So thank you

Thiago_Justen_

If you have no transformation folder, then you may not create that connection. In your case you don't need to write (txt, utf8, no labels, delimiter is '\t', msq);.

Keep your from string just the way it is.

Cheers

Farol BI
canerkan
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Ok, i understand it.. Could you explain me what kind of file should be loaded in the TRANSFORM_TABLE Statement?