Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amusia
Contributor II
Contributor II

Connecting Qlik Sense Desktop to Client's MS SQL Server Database

Hello,

I am a contractor for a client and I am introducing Qlik Sense to them with the Desktop version and I need to create a direct connection with the Client's underlying HP ALM database (a MS SQL Server DB).The security team created an Active Directory account for me with read only access to the database, but I could not establish a connection using this account. I was then told by the security team that I would need a SQL Server Authentication account created. Is it true that this is the necessary route to take? I am also using my contractor laptop, not a client laptop (if that has anything to do with it). Thank you in advance for the help.

Anthony 

2 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

These are few comments from me

1) When we use Desktop, definitely you cannot use MS SQL server for your demo purpose - Because, That is involved with Service Account. Hence NO

2) Can't you use Enterprise one? Or this is not yet placed in your client?

3) If not placed, My suggestion would to use Qlikview and pulling that database data into Qlikview where as we need to Store in QVD then load that QVD in Qliksense - Really wanted real data for showcase

4) Else, Use flat files which can be business level. They start visualization for stakeholders/Business.

Does it make sense?

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If your laptop is not part of the client's domain, you will not be able to use the AD account to log directly onto the database. (SQL Management studio of QlikSense/View). Either use SQL security (as told you by the security team) or have the client make a server available for you to remote desktop (logging in with the AD account). 

The alternative is to install Qlik Sense server (not free software). This will allow all the app development and administration to be done via the web based QMC and development environment.

You may need some client support to set up ODBC for sources other than SQL server connections, but you can connect to MS SQL using the SQL connector.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein