Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
francesco_gregori
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Dremio as data source for Qlik Sense Enterprise

Hi all

is it possible to use Dremio as a data source in Qlik Sense Enterprise through the ODBC driver provided by Dremio ( https://www.dremio.com/drivers/ )?

This works perfectly for Qlik Sense Desktop, but I'd like to confirm there are no problems with the Enterprise Edition.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
7 Replies
francesco_gregori
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Ok I tested it myself, it is possible the same way you do this with Qlik Sense Desktop

1. install Dremio ODBC driver on the Windows server hosting Qlik Sense Enterprise
  2. configure the System DSN created after the installation of the driver (default name Dremio Connector), or create another one, with the details needed to point to Dremio (hostname, port, username, password and so on)
  3. in your Qlik Sense app choose ODBC, then select the System DSN configured at step 2 and insert Dremio username/password

that’s it!

regards

rrbhupathi
Contributor
Contributor

After setting up the ODBC connection on the server, I do see Dremio Connector as one of the data connections and navigate through the data sources available on Dremio.

But I am not able to view or load the data into Qlik Sense enterprise or Qlik Sense desktop. 

However if I invoke Qlik Sense desktop through Dremio it does creates the app and load script to load the data. After I load the data into the app created by Dremio, I am able to view the data.

Not sure why I am not able to import the data directly using ODBC connection either through Qlik Sense Desktop or Qlik Sense Enterprise.

Appreciate any insights on this.

victorouttes
Contributor
Contributor

I'm with exactly same error. Any tips?

francesco_gregori
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi @rrbhupathi and @victorouttes 

I understand you're not receiving any error...it's just the data not showing up, am I right?

If this is the case and you're querying large datasets, you just need to wait a while (how much depends on dataset size) for actual data to appear.

When you launch the data preview, Qlik Sense connects to Dremio and executes the following statements:

1. select count(*) from <your dataset> 
  2. select * from <your dataset> limit <some number>

so if your dataset contains a lot of data and possibly is not associated with any reflection sppeding up the query, it can take some time to execute and return the result set to Qlik Sense

Regards,

Francesco

victorouttes
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, @francesco_gregori. Thank you for the quick reply. This is what I have already tested:

The table has 302 rows and 28 columns.

1) The statements you showed work perfectly when I run in Dremio site;

2) When I go to data script section (qlik sense) and run:

LIB CONNECT TO 'Dremio Connector';
load *;
select * from "My-Dremio-Table";

Works perfectly, and I can use data in dashboards.

3) When I go to Dremio Connector "select data" to see databases, owners and tables:

3.1) On the first attempt it loads all the owners, databases and tables. When I click on a table it does not show any preview nor let me add this table to my script.

3.2) If I close the modal and try to load the "select data" again, it will no longer show either the owners or databases or tables.

No error is shown. I waited several minutes and nothing changes. The table only has 302 rows.

rrbhupathi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @francesco_gregori

As documented by  victorouttes

I was following the same exact steps and not able to view the data on Qlik Sense.

Thanks

Naga

rrbhupathi
Contributor
Contributor

Up on further analysis it seems the issue is with Decimal data types on Oracle tables. We are able to view the data for other Oracle tables.