Qlik Community

Qlik Sense Data Connectivity

Discussion board where members can learn more about Qlik Sense Data Connectivity.

Announcements
Qlik Analytics Tour 2020 Online. Begins August 10th. Register Today
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

How to Change the ConnectionString for existing ODBC DataConnection

Hi,

I am new to QlikSense and recently we have moved our SQL Server database to Azure. Now we have to change the QlikSense ODBC connection details to new Azure SQL Server for the published reports. So kindly let me  know , how to edit and change the ODBC connections for the existing. 

Since I am very new to QlikSense, it would be better to explain me in detail. (step by step).

Thanksin advance:-)

2 Replies
Highlighted
Support (Former)
Support (Former)

Re: How to Change the ConnectionString for existing ODBC DataConnection

Hi,

It really depends on whether your SQL Server on-premises (old database) and Azure (new database) share exactly the same data schema, table names and SQL syntax. If they are, you simply need to switch the connection  (LIB CONNECT TO ... command) in your Qlik Sense reload script from the on-premises connection to the Azure connection.

It's a little bit too much details to show this step-by-step, so I made a short video attached below. In this video, I have 2 connections: DSN (ODBC) and OLE DB, both pointing to an Oracle database. I switch the connection string from DSN to OLE DB. The SQL query remains the same.

If the data schema, table names and SQL syntax are different, then you will need to redesign the SQL queries used in the reload script.

Vu Nguyen
If a post helps resolve your issue, please mark the answer as correct.
Highlighted

Re: How to Change the ConnectionString for existing ODBC DataConnection

You create or modify connections from the Data Manager or Load Script Editor on an unpublished app in your workspace.

If have a copy in your workspace, add a new connection from the data manager or script editor. Select the Azure SQL connector and enter the relevant details and credentials in the dialog box. Search for and change the lib:// references in the script editor to the new connection name. Reload the model and test the results.

If the app is published, you will first need to take a duplicate, open the duplicate in your workspace, add the new connection and change the lib:// references to the new connection. When done, you can save the  workspace copy and publish the app, overwriting the old one in the published stream.

If you don't have the necessary rights to perform the above steps (duplicating, adding connections, publishing), you will need to have your administrator help you.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein