Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MathiasVSteerteghem
Contributor II
Contributor II

Monthly Excel File Import

Hello everybody!

I'm really new at this and I just need some help for a project I got assigned to on my student job.

The thing is that there are monthly files from check ups on the company and they would like to use Qlik to analyze the data. Now this has to go as easy as possible so I thought of the following structure.

Every month, the same excel file can be dropped in a map. Only with a different number. Now every time we open the app I make in Qlik, the new file should load. And the "older" files also need to stay in the app as we need to see the evolution over the months.

Now I searched for many things and found the LOAD function and RELOAD functions but I just can't understand how I need to write this in my code, I'm not a very good code writer...

I just realy hope someone has experience with this kind of structure and can help me do this or advice me to do something else or I don't know what.

If there are any questions about this, please let me know and I will answer them so everything is clear.

Greetings,

Mathias 

Labels (1)
3 Replies
Vu_Nguyen
Employee
Employee

Hi, when the new Excel file for the current month is generated to the shared folder, are older files deleted? Or all Excel files of all months are still kept in the folder?

If all files are kept, you only need to use wildcard in the Excel file name in the LOAD statement. Example at https://community.qlik.com/t5/QlikView-App-Development/Importing-multiple-excel-files/td-p/1150526

If only the latest file is kept, by the end of the reload script you should have a STORE statement to store all current table data into a QVD file . Next reload will load historic data from the QVD file first, then concatenate with current data in the Excel file. See https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/June2019/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Scripting/ScriptRegularS...

Vu Nguyen
If a post helps resolve your issue, please mark the answer as correct.
MathiasVSteerteghem
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi and thanks for the answer! 

The old files will stay in a map where we just add one file monthly. I have read the topic and tried the solution but it won't work, it only loads 1 file while I need all of them...

Also my data is in the second sheet and not the first one from the excel file. The guy with the solution mentions that it has to be the first sheet.

Could you help with this?

MathiasVSteerteghem
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Ok I have now a script that loads all files from a map, but how can you get the data from each file? I would like to have 2 sheets. One for the last month overview and one for the overall time where you can see the positive or negative movements per month. Now the data used in the charts automaticly uses the sum of all the files. How do I make the difference between the files?