Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlik Sense : Update from local data file

Hi,

I have QlikSense Desktop and my data source is a local excel file.

I've made my charts. But now what I want to do : when the data of my excel changes (every month), I upload it (manually) into QlikSense and my charts will be updated.

Is it possible?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Rouchdi,

I guess I am misunderstanding the way you are using the words  "import manually".

The way this would be achieved with Qlik Sense Desktop - out-of-the-box - would require you to copy in the new excel file to the same location as the previous one, with the same file-name and then manually clicking the Load Data button in the Data Load Editor or Data Manager  This will automatically refresh the charts, this is by design. Clicking the LOAD DATA button in the Data Load Editor or the Data Manager - refreshes the data from the source. You don't and should not have to rebuild any visualization just because the data changes.

What you can do - is put your excel file in a mapped or network share drive and reference it as \\computer\share in the File connector. Then use a 3rd party program to copy in the new file on a monthly basis, and then perform the reload. If not you would manually be copying the new file to this referenced location.

NOTE:

There is an extension in branch.qlik.com - Qlik Sense Reload Button (incl. Partial Reload) that can place a load button on the sheet in view mode - so you can reload the app without having to go into the Data Load Editor or Data Load Manager.  - but it will still require the new excel file to copied in with the same name so the updated values are available to the app.

See video (.mp4) attached.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Rouchdi,

Yes this is possible with Qlik Sense Enterprise, not Qlik Sense Desktop. QLIK SENSE DESKTOP requires a manual reload action in the app to achieve this.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Qlik Sense Enterprise includes a task scheduler in the Management Console - that allows you to schedule a reload of your app on a basis you choose.

You can read more about it here:

http://help.qlik.com/sense/2.1/en-US/online/#../Subsystems/ManagementConsole/Content/manage-QMC-reso...

http://help.qlik.com/sense/2.1/en-US/online/#../Subsystems/ManagementConsole/Content/manage-tasks-an...

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

thank you michael. I can reload it manually. I don't need to schedule a reload.

What i want is just to import manually a new version of my excel file (same structure but the values change) and update my charts. Because I don't want to build again and again the charts every month (because i will import my new excel file version every month)

Is it possible?

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Rouchdi,

I guess I am misunderstanding the way you are using the words  "import manually".

The way this would be achieved with Qlik Sense Desktop - out-of-the-box - would require you to copy in the new excel file to the same location as the previous one, with the same file-name and then manually clicking the Load Data button in the Data Load Editor or Data Manager  This will automatically refresh the charts, this is by design. Clicking the LOAD DATA button in the Data Load Editor or the Data Manager - refreshes the data from the source. You don't and should not have to rebuild any visualization just because the data changes.

What you can do - is put your excel file in a mapped or network share drive and reference it as \\computer\share in the File connector. Then use a 3rd party program to copy in the new file on a monthly basis, and then perform the reload. If not you would manually be copying the new file to this referenced location.

NOTE:

There is an extension in branch.qlik.com - Qlik Sense Reload Button (incl. Partial Reload) that can place a load button on the sheet in view mode - so you can reload the app without having to go into the Data Load Editor or Data Load Manager.  - but it will still require the new excel file to copied in with the same name so the updated values are available to the app.

See video (.mp4) attached.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Great to hear.

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
mdas
Contributor
Contributor

If there is change in the excel sheet name in future(eg,Currently if sheet name is abc and later if its renamed to xyz),can we provide functionality in qliksense to select the sheet by the user

tptan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! I know this is a bit old but what if i dont have Qliksense desktop and only in browser? How can I update the data from excel?