Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikegrattan
Creator III
Creator III

Qlik Sense does not recognize extended data section of KML shape files

Hello,

I'm trying to import GIS data from files that contain an ExtendedData section.  The goal is to import not only the shapes for the coordinates, but also the names of the properties.  In this case, we use Ranch, Lot, and Grower to assist in identifying the various properties in the map file.  I've attached a zip file that should contain all relative data in order to do a conversion, but simply importing a KML (converted from the original SHP file) doesn't seem to pull in the data correctly.  I've also tried using an online tool called My GeoData Converter, which supposedly can handle this conversion when you upload the entire set of files in a .zip file (or individually), and it does get the Extended Data, but drops the actual coordinates for some reason.  Hoping someone can help here!

Note:  I did find an older thread about the KML ExtendedData section but the resolution was a custom R script, which I attempted to modify for my file but could not get to work.  That thread can be found at How to use a KML file's ExtendedData ?

I've attached a zip file containing the files I am trying to import into Qlik Sense.  The .shp file was converted to .kml using Google Earth, which only allows selection of one data field as the "Name" field when creating a template for .kml conversion.

So, the goal is to either create a .kml file that includes the additional ExtendedData fields, or generate a lookup file that would include a key index for the Area and the related fields that go with that area.

2 Replies
abhalla2
Contributor II
Contributor II

Try reading the data in .xml format, in data editor, should work.

jcf
Employee
Employee

Check out this link.  i just posted a solution for just this thing.

KML extended data parsing