Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Simple Qlik Sense Section Access

I am attempting to use section access with Qlik Sense. I am testing against "ADMIN1", that is aRootAdmin in Qlik Sense, but also admin in the Windows server. I tried the following script in data load editor, I hit load data, quit then re-enter. Qlik says: "Access Denied".

Section Access; 
LOAD * Inline [
ACCESS, USERID
ADMIN, ADMIN1
];

Section Application;
LOAD * Inline[
Customer, Age
];

I replaced ADMIN, ADMIN1 with ADMIN, DOMAIN1\ADMIN1 but still "Access is Denied". Same when I try ADMIN, * or ADMIN, '*'.

How can I make this simple test work?

Thanks,

Amir.

15 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sorry I meant leaving the REDUCTION field empty.

sohailansari201
Creator
Creator

yes tried that too and that gives me the error "Access is Denied" on the hub.

I did some more research and I think I have found the answer now. The * does not mean access to all the data in your QVF. The * gives you access to all the REDUCTION field values listed in the SECTION ACCESS. Let me try to put a simple example here:

A basket of fruits has apples, bananas, strawberries & grapes.

SECTION ACCESS says:

UserA has access to apples

UserB has access to grapes

UserC has access to bananas

ADMIN has access to *

The section access application does not gives ADMIN access to all 4 fruits but instead it will give ADMIN access to all those fruits that are listed WITHIN the section access area for all other USERS. Therefore, ADMIN will have access to apples, gapes & bananas only.

Thank you,

sspe
Creator II
Creator II

I have been looking into this in Qlik Sense as well, but is a little unsure about what the difference is on the USER and ADMIN user types in Sense?

The documentation says - "A person with ADMIN privileges has access to all data in the app. A person with USER privileges can only access data as defined in the security table.", but how should that be interpreted? I assumed it was different from QlikView in the sense that ADMIN usertype would see ALL data regardless of Section Access, but doesn't seems to be the case (at least it's not what I see in my testing).

So, does anyone have a better explanation of the difference on the two user types?

Regards

Steen

stiffi88
Partner - Contributor III

Are the fields you want to access all in Upper()?

Then it is always a good idea to load the table from an excel file so you can't log out yourself.

KR

Clemens

sspe
Creator II
Creator II

I don't think loading from an Excel file will prevent you from loggin yourself out as such. The good thing with QlikSense though, is that you can always open the app without data and then fix your Section Access settings if you get locked out. This is a huge improvement from QlikView 🙂

/Steen

stiffi88

Ahh okay thanks i didnt know that.

I did this always with an external table so I can allways change the section access.

Thanks for that.

KR

Clemens