Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to connect to Microsoft SQL Server

Hi,

My team is looking at using Qlik for slicing and dicing some data, so I downloaded the Qlik Sense Desktop software to try it out. But I have been unable to connect to our Microsoft SQL Server where the data resides.

There is no error code -- what's baffling is that I can't even get the software to try to connect. I opened up the "Create a connection - Microsoft SQL Server" dialogue, enter the DB information, and then...nothing happens. From the tutorial I know that I should click the little right arrow at the bottom of the page to initiate the connection, but that arrow is grayed out and clicking it does nothing. I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I mean:

Qlik_Sense_problem.png

(obviously I changed the actual host name, but it doesn't change the nature of the problem)

I talked to a sales associate who was very nice but couldn't help -- s/he said I should tag Mike Tarallo on this issue...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

JD

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rittermd
Master
Master

As soon as you add the \ to type in the instance name you can't go any further.  If you don't enter it then it will not connect.

192.168.30.201\ - this greys out the next arrow

Looks like a bug to me.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
rittermd
Master
Master

It doesn't look like it is working correctly. Looks like it is waiting for something else to be entered even after you enter everything. 

Instead of choosing Add Data click on Data Load Editor.  Then click on Add Connection and choose OLE DB and fill in the information.

See if that works.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Try switching to the Date Load Editor and try to define a connection to your SQL database there. At least there you'll get a dialog window where you can test the connection.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
rittermd
Master
Master

As soon as you add the \ to type in the instance name you can't go any further.  If you don't enter it then it will not connect.

192.168.30.201\ - this greys out the next arrow

Looks like a bug to me.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

You're right -- it does seem to the the backslash that's causing the problem. Not sure how I can connect to the server without it, though.

I tried going through the Data Load Editor. It seems to have 2 ways to connect:

1. Top left menu -> "Add data"

This brings up the same dialogue, with the same problem

2. Under "Data connections" on the right -> "Create new connection"

Makes a valid connection! Not fully confirmed yet because while it connects to the server okay, the specific database I'm looking for is missing so I can't load the actual data. This sounds like more of an internal problem, though, so I'll work through it with our IT.

In the meantime I'll call this a valid workaround. Thanks for the quick response!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Update -- got our internal IT issues worked out and the connection works now. Thanks for the help!

pumpkin_power
Contributor III
Contributor III

I have the same problem, my new SQL-Server has a \ in the Name and with it I cant connect anymore. As soon as I type the \ the arrow gets Grey.