Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlongoria
Creator
Creator

Add custom attributes to active directory users with Excel user directory connector

I have an existing active directory connector which provides user attributes such as groups. I'd like to create an Excel directory connector to add additional attributes to users which are not available from active directory. Is this possible? (below is what I currently have)

I successfully created an Excel directory connector and added the appropriate sheets and columns. I created user entries matching the name and userid of a user in Active Directory. When I sync the Excel UDC and navigate to users, I end up with two user entries with the same name and userid except one belongs to the AD UDC and the other to the Excel UDC. What I end up with is basically two different users.

When I login as the user that exists in both UDCs, I can tell the user does not have the attributes in the Excel UDC because I have a specific security rule which provides access to a stream.

I don't see how the Excel UDC is of any use to me in this case unless that is the ONLY connector I define - but maybe I am missing something. Is this expected behavior or am I missing something?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Correct. It's a single UDC <> single User Directory:

123.png

To the core of the original question, what can you do to accentuate or add to an existing UDC? Custom Properties is a potential option here, but those can be a pain to administer at scale. The long-term solution would be to have something as your UDC which is flexible enough to use for authorization. For some organizations, Active Directory is not that. In those scenarios, it's a cost/benefit of:

1. Custom Properties
  2. Building out a mechanism to sync AD and add to it

For (2), I'm envisioning a PowerShell script which scrapes AD and builds out the needed tables for Qlik Sense then merges in a CSV which the admins of the site control.

(2) is quite flexible but at the cost of needing to build this out and maintain it going forward.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Giuseppe_Novello

I do not think it is possible to merge two UDCs in one. Any ideas @Levi_Turner ?

BR

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Correct. It's a single UDC <> single User Directory:

123.png

To the core of the original question, what can you do to accentuate or add to an existing UDC? Custom Properties is a potential option here, but those can be a pain to administer at scale. The long-term solution would be to have something as your UDC which is flexible enough to use for authorization. For some organizations, Active Directory is not that. In those scenarios, it's a cost/benefit of:

1. Custom Properties
  2. Building out a mechanism to sync AD and add to it

For (2), I'm envisioning a PowerShell script which scrapes AD and builds out the needed tables for Qlik Sense then merges in a CSV which the admins of the site control.

(2) is quite flexible but at the cost of needing to build this out and maintain it going forward.