cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rohitk1609
Master
Master

External users without using AD

My client has a big list of external users which need Qlik Services but my client can't add those external users to their domain AD. Internal users or domain users imported to QMC by UDC and have access but I am facing problem to give access to external user if I import via excel even though they donot have access to my Qlik server.

Please guide me how to solve this puzzle.

Your every input is valuable to me.

Thanks,

Rohit

7 Replies
ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

Hi Rohit, I split this question to a separate thread.

A key thing to keep in mind is that authentication is always done by a third party identity provider. Qlik Sense does not authenticate the accessing user.

In your case the external users can not access Qlik Sense, because the authentication configuration in the accesses virtual proxy can not identity the accessing user. You need to define a virtual proxy for your external users, which can redirect authentication of your external users to an identity provider that contains the external users.

UDC only synchronizes user meta data from a directory into Qlik Sense. It does not directly affect user access to Qlik Sense. The meta data can be utilized in security rules to govern user access.

Take a look at https://www.qlik.com/us/-/media/files/resource-library/global-us/register/whitepapers/wp-qlik-sense-...‌ and on page 6 in "Qlik Sense Security User Access Workflow" you can see an overview of the user access process.

arunesh_gupta
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Rohit, have you implemented this ?.. please share your input if you done as I need to give access for external users who are not part of AD group and also internal user should have access as well. Please setting which required to do in virtual proxy, thanks Arunesh

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

What do you mean by "give access"? Are you referring to authentication or authorization?

How do you you authenticate the internal users?
How do you you authenticate the external users?

rohitk1609
Master
Master
Author

Hi Toni,

I have AD in my network, lets say, DOMAIN and lets say there is one user USER1 so how my user login as DOMAIN/USER1. Now we have 100 users and I can't add them to my AD DOMAIN, So would I server Qlik or provide access to those users if I can't add them to my ID ?

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

Qlik Sense does not authenticate users, so you need to have an identity provider for your user authentication. I do not understand how you would end up with 100 named external users without a identity provider. Talk to the local IT to find a suitable identity provider.

PuriVelasco
Creator
Creator

HI @arunesh_gupta 

Have you solved your question? I have a similiar problem.

Thank you.

PuriVelasco
Creator
Creator

I need help to add external users to Qlik Sense. Understanding external users like users aren't in Active Directory. They only can use somo apps from Qlik Sense.

I know I need an identity provider in Windows Server to allow access to users aren't in Active Directory, but I don't know how Qlik Sense access to this solution.

Thank you very much.