Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwallman
Creator III
Creator III

How to check if Load Balancing is working for a multi-node Qlik Sense environment?

Hello,

We have a two node Qlik Sense environment.

On both nodes we have 5 services running each.

When I go to the Nodes page in the QMC it shows both nodes and the 5 services are running.

When I go to the Engines page it shows both nodes are "running".

However for the last 2-3 days only the central node has been handling actions it seems because the Operations Monitor only registers the central node for CPU, RAM, Concurrent users activities.

Is this normal behaviour?

We have on average about 30 users per day, but being Easter period this week it is averaring around 10 users a day and may only about 2-3 concurrent users.

I am wondering if something is wrong even though thing seem to be "running".

10 Replies
Giuseppe_Novello

Have you setup yout Virtual proxy to Load balance to both engines nodes? QMC> virtual proxy> select the Virtual proxy > edit > load balancing> Both Engines nodes are added there? 

BR

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik
mwallman
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Giuseppe,

Yes both nodes have always been there in the virtual proxy too.

Giuseppe_Novello

well then 3 things:

1- You have a load balancing rule that affecting this.

2- User are getting redirect to the wrong proxy that has only central engine linked

3- the proxy linked for the Virtual proxy you are using has blocked the ports for the other engines nodes. ( I am guessing you have central proxy that you are using?)

BR

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
mwallman
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Giuseppe,

1 - We use the default load balancing rules

CentralNode security rule has Resource filter set to *

SecondNode security rule has Resource filter set to App_*

2 - How do we check for this to see if this is a problem?

When I go to Proxies page I can see the following set up:

For the central proxy we have the central proxy and virtual proxy added in virtual proxies.

For second proxy we have the second proxy and the virtual proxy added in the virtual proxies.

3 - How do we check for this?

I am aware that 443, 4244, 4243, 80 ports should not be used by other things? Which ones should I check to see if they are blocked please and how to check if they are blocked?

Giuseppe_Novello

#2 - Well it is more a question to you, what URL are you using? and if you sure it is redirecting to the proxy that is linked to a VP that had both engines to load balancing. 

#3 - You need 4747 and 4900 and others, read more for further understanding, under "ports examples > multinode" :

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/February2019/Subsystems/PlanningQlikSenseDeployments/Content/Sense...

Giuseppe Novello
mwallman
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hello Giuseppe,

Thanks for replying.

2) We are using HTTPS url, not the IP address but a user friendly name. I can confirm the virtual proxy we are using has both of the nodes added in the load balancing section.

3) I checked if the ports are in listening mode on each node by doing netstat -a -n

From your link I read the "Minimum ports used for communication in multi-node sites" and results from the second node came back as:

4242 - LISTENING

4432 - NOT LISTED

4444 - LISTENING

Other nodes that reported as LISTENING are:

-----------------

We have not changed any configuration on the servers in the previous 30 days, it just seems to strange no activity is happening on the second node. I have checked the server is running, checked Qlik Sense services are running as well.

mwallman
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Giuseppe,

I noticed that in the second node server there is CPU and RAM being used for the Engine service but I am not sure what for. I saw this while logging into the server and using the Task Manager to see what activity is going on.

For the same time, in the Operations Monitor for the last few days there is no activity being shown for the second node.

Perhaps it's to do with the node's logs not being included in the Operations Monitor for some reason?

Giuseppe_Novello

It could be that the Operations monitor is not feeding the correct data which then it will give you the impression nothing is loading to the Second node. In that case I would explore the logs directly from 2nd node and see if you notice anything is being load at all. Logs to check Programdata / Qlik / sense / logs/ engine/ trace : system_engine and Audit_engine.

BR

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
melissapluke
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi,

Did you figure out the issue in this case? We are having the same problem.

Thanks,

Melissa