cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rich_morby
Contributor II
Contributor II

Limit access to User DSN connections

I have both System and User DSN connections set up on the Qlik Sense server using the Qlik Sense service account (root admin).

The System DSN connections should be available to all users as data connections they can use for their apps, however, the User DSN connections are used for the Qlik Sense service account to create QVDs. I thought only the System DSN enteries would be visible to other users but they are able to see both System and User entries.

Is there a way to restrict other users from seeing the User DSN ODBC connections?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Rich

3 Replies
Vincenzo_Esposito

Hi Rich, in this way you are relying on the OS authorization. I suggest you move to Qlik authorization since the security rules enable to do that and more.

In this way you need to disable users to create data connection in QlikSense, create them centrally pointing to your ODBC DNS and allows users o groups to access to the right data connection 

rich_morby
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Vincenzo,

Thanks for the tip, however, we want the users to use their own credentials when connecting to certain data sources. Many of these sources already have a security model built in to them. We are creating an ODBC connection on the server without a user name and password and then the end user can enter that when creating the connection.

If I use the Qlik security rules to provide access to that connection the end user would technically be connecting using whatever credentials Qlik used to create the data connection.

Is there a way to create a data connection to an ODBC source but still force the user to enter their and grant access via Qlik but still force the user to enter their credentials?

Thanks,

Rich

Vincenzo_Esposito

Unless you are in a special situation where your users make the app for themselves (self service) or in a big data scenario where Qlik access data at runtime, in a standard situation the data refresh is triggered in batch mode and run with the Qlik service credentials. Data are stored in memory and Qlik provide a profiled access using the Section Access.

http://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/September2017/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Scripting/Security/manage-secu...

Hope this help