Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Load balancing without a standalone Proxy node

I've ready all the documentation and it looks like Qlik is recommending that you have a node that acts solely as a Proxy node to handle load balancing.

If I wanted to have a multi-node set up with one central node and two nodes (A, B and C with A/B acting as QES nodes and B acting as the QSS node) how would I set up load balancing without a dedicated Proxy node?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Joe_Bickley
Employee
Employee

Yup exactly. Or you can have just one proxy pointing to A and B, depends on what you need.

Just remember each proxy will have its own URL   server1.com/hub and server2.com/hub  so as you wont want 2 URLs for your users if you do have two proxies you will need something at the network level to bind them together and that is normally where a network load balancer comes in. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Joe_Bickley
Employee
Employee

Hi Adam,

Each proxy can be configured to use any of the engine servers in your site, so you can do the layout you write above. You dont need to have a dedicated proxy node just for this purpose it is just something we see as being fairly common.  

Where stand alone proxies can be useful is when you want more than one proxy for resilience (themselves load balanced with a hardware load balancer) and many engines behind those. In many cases you probably dont need more than two proxies but you may add and remove engines as you need them. So it may make management a little easier over time.

To set up which proxies point to each engine go to QMC> Proxies > Virtual Proxies > Load Balancing and add the engine nodes you want the proxy to use.  If you are using 1.1 you can also create a virtual proxy that you can reuse on several machines which saves you repeating settings in a couple of places.

Thanks

Joe

Not applicable
Author

So you're saying that I would have proxies on both A and B and each proxy would point to one another?  Meaning the proxy on A would point to engine on A and B and the proxy on B would point to the engine on B and A?

Joe_Bickley
Employee
Employee

Yup exactly. Or you can have just one proxy pointing to A and B, depends on what you need.

Just remember each proxy will have its own URL   server1.com/hub and server2.com/hub  so as you wont want 2 URLs for your users if you do have two proxies you will need something at the network level to bind them together and that is normally where a network load balancer comes in. 

sujay
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi We have added the same way but the LB url is not launching.  we have white listed the LB url under the virtual proxy but still. 

However we tried with the prefix and added the lb url on prefix and page loaded but it throws the 404 error.

Could someone please help us through is appreciable .

thanks

Kham,