cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deec
Creator
Creator

Loading user attributes on ODBC(SQL) UDC not working

We are seeing this strange behavior, where the custom properties are loaded in (name and value) but do not seem to be linked to existing properties of that name.

For example, I created a custom property named “ICFO_Role”… when the user is loaded via UDC, it shows up on their card (seen on hover at the user screen in QMC)

UDC_1.jpg

However, if you look at the user’s screen (Edit user in QMC)… the ICFO_Role property is empty!

UDC_2.jpg

Going one step further, if I actually assign it to them through the Edit screen… the card shows it twice.

Until I do this, the one that is loaded doesn’t function in rules, etc… it’s like whatever is loaded doesn’t matter.

UDC_3.jpg

My user and attributes table are straight forward per the manual. I am only testing this, so they only have the required fields (userid, name) / (userid, type, value). All varchar type. The connection is obviously working, since users and properties are loaded. But they’re not linking or being applied properly

Perhaps I do not have the correct expectations. I would like to load in "custom properties". Otherwise I'm not sure what these attributes are good for. 

version: April 2019 initial release

UDC Driver: SQL Server

SQL Server: 2012

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
deec
Creator
Creator
Author

After speaking to Customer Support, they verified that:

"Custom properties can only be assigned manually or through an API and aren’t dynamically given.

What they could try to do is use those variables, or custom attributes, straight to the rules via user.environment."

So "Custom Properties" and "User Attributes" are different objects. While custom properties are referenced in rules with an at sign (user.@CustomProperty) and cannot be brought in via a User Directory Connector. User attributes can be brought in via UDC and are referenced directly in the rules as (user.UserAttribute)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
deec
Creator
Creator
Author

After speaking to Customer Support, they verified that:

"Custom properties can only be assigned manually or through an API and aren’t dynamically given.

What they could try to do is use those variables, or custom attributes, straight to the rules via user.environment."

So "Custom Properties" and "User Attributes" are different objects. While custom properties are referenced in rules with an at sign (user.@CustomProperty) and cannot be brought in via a User Directory Connector. User attributes can be brought in via UDC and are referenced directly in the rules as (user.UserAttribute)