Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aurelien_thiery
Contributor II
Contributor II

Qlik Sense Load Balancing between 2 RIM Nodes

Hi,

I have setup 1 central node and 2 rim nodes (one for self-service and one for production) using qlik sense november 2019 edition (architecture in attachment).

The users have only one url and then the external load balancer (F5 BIG-IP) redirect users on one of two Hub (RIM Nodes), the 2 hubs show the same applications.

However i want that, when i open an application, this one use only one engine (and always the same) by configuring Qlik Sense Load Balancer:

- production application (streams are identified) = production engine

- self-service application (others streams and My Work stream) = self-service engine

I tried to create custom properties and load balancing rules but it doesn't work: if i'm on self-service hub the application use self-service engine and if i'm on production hub the application use self-service engine.

Can you help me please? I put in attachment my configuration (custom properties, stream, node, load balancing rules...).

Thank you very much!

Labels (1)
4 Replies
andoryuu
Creator III
Creator III

You will need to modify or disable your "ResourcesOnNonCentralNodes" and "ResourcesOnCentralNodes" rules.  Best practice if you will modify is to duplicate the rule and disable the original system rule.  Even though your new rules are directing apps to those nodes, the original rules are still allowing them to show up on the nodes you DON'T want them on.  In the pic below you'll see that I've set up our "ResourcesOnNonCentralNodes" to ignore streams that have a custom property for "LoadBalanceServerGroup" of 1 or 2 (in our environment we balance SOME streams in groups 1 or 2 and any other apps are allowed on any node). 

LB.jpg

aurelien_thiery
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Andoryuu,

Thanks for your response.

I can modify ou disable the rule "ResourceOnNonCentralNode" but not the rule "ResourceOnCentralNode".

Edit load balancing rules.png

In virtual proxy configuration (the both: production and self-service), i add the two nodes everytime, is it ok? Or i have to add one node?

virtual proxy self-service.pngvirtual proxy production.png

Thanks.

andoryuu
Creator III
Creator III

All that means is what is *possible* to load balance to.  We have a central node and four rim nodes here.  Default VP on central has rim nodes 1-4 for load balancing.  Rim01 is the failover so the default VP for it can LB to central, rims2-4.  HOWEVER, that which determines where a user goes and receives content is the load balancing rules.  Unless you disable/modify the system default rules, your load balancing will go to any node because the system default rules that I mention in my first reply are allowing any app to go to any rim node.  You have to address that first before doing anything else - Qlik Sense is a "grant only" security model.  So if the default system rule grants you to go to ANY node then your other load balancing rule that sends users to one or the other becomes meaningless.  

andoryuu
Creator III
Creator III

And yes, sorry for the confusion - that's my bad.  The central node rule can't be changed.  That is because typically users are not going to be load balanced to central unless there is a failover situation going on.  In a typical multi-node architecture the central does not serve content - just the rim nodes.  But the rule has to exist for all the under-the-covers APIs to work properly.