Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ansarikashif2017

QlikSense 3.2 to November 2017 via clean installation

Hi All,

We are currently on QlikSense 3.2.4. We plan to upgrade to November 2017. But I want to try out a different path rather than the normal upgrade.

As part of our learning and research, we have landed up creating too many Security rules and it is difficult to delete the unwanted ones without being sure no impact to users.

What we wanted to attempt is take a backup of Apps and QVD files. Uninstall QlikSense 3.2 and then do a fresh installation of Nov 2017 so that we get fresh set of original security rules.

We then plan to restore the apps and QVD files. We are ok with re-creating the Connections.

We plan to add the users to an LDAP group and then run a UDC synch to get the users created. We will add the Custom properties manually for users.

Is it possible to get the apps published back by copying them to the Apps folder?

8 Replies
ansarikashif2017
Author

Calling out the experts for their comment : korsikov , ves, gwassenaar , jog , shraddha.g , mto

shraddha_g
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

I have not tried this.. But one way you can try is take a backup of repository database of qliksense 3.2 before uninstalling. then restoring that repository database at the time of qliksense installation.

Refer Upgrading to Qlik Sense June 2017 or later after uninstalling Qlik Sense 3.1 SR2 or later ‒ Qlik Sen...

In this link you will get steps to take backup and restore old versions repository database.

ansarikashif2017
Author

If I restore the Repo DB Backup, we will get back all the security rules which I wanted to avoid.

shraddha_g
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

you can delete those later.

ansarikashif2017
Author

Hi Shraddha,

I don't think so you have read my post completely. The sole purpose of the approach I am thinking is to avoid deletion of security rules in the current setup because we are not sure which one is being used and which one is not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would export the Apps from the old version via the old QMC one at a time  and them import them one at a time into the new version via the new QMC.  I would also probably be cautious and before uninstalling the old version copy the exported qvf Apps to my laptop and check they are all ok and readable with a local Qlik Sense Desktop of the new version.

If you just simply copy the qvf app files from the old Apps folder to the new Apps folder then you will have nothing in the new Qlik Sense Repository regarding them and you will not be able to see them via Qlik.

ansarikashif2017
Author

Thanks Bill. We have 244 apps. You aware of any utility which can do bulk migration of apps?

Also if we import the 3.2 app into November 2017 QMC it should do the conversion automatically. Right?

Also, in the Apps folder their are app files and and Search and Transaction folder. We should backup only the app files. Right? Not sure what does the Search folder contain. Transaction folder seems to be having a subfolder by the node name but that is empty.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not aware of any out of the box bulk auto app migration .  No doubt you could write something using the Qlik Sense API's, but it would probably take longer to write it than to manually migrate your apps.

In theory I would expect the QMC app import to auto convert across, but having never personally done it I make no guarantees.  You may well have to manually recreate the Data Connections though.

I suggested exporting / importing the apps via QMC so I don't think your 3rd question is a valid question in this scenario.

Maybe get in touch with Qlik support, they may have a cunning suggestion.