Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ram only being consumed on one engine

I have a multi node engine set up with 4 engine nodes, 1 central, 3 proxy, 1 scheduler.

I notice moderate to low CPU usage across all engine nodes but high ram usage on only one of them.

I can't imagine this is typical behavior. We have an application with massive RAM footprint we need to spread across nodes.

The load balancing is being done with DataPower, an IBM product.

Andrew

5 Replies
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Hey Andrew,

What is the Virtual Proxy > Load Balancing for the Proxy/Proxies that end users access?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

That is managed by an IBM Data power server, this is the load balancing rule for that server.

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

So that's one element. At described you have:

1. User > Proxies
  2. Proxies (and their Virtual Proxy/Proxies) > Engines

(1) is handled by the network appliance, but I am asking about (2). So under Virtual Proxies > Load Balancing what Engine(s) are selected across the Virtual Proxies at play?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey Levi,

my initial post was found to be wrong, Ram only appears to be consumed on one engine but inspecting the line further, they all are maxed out. Proxies (and their Virtual Proxy/Proxies) > Engines

Under Proxies > Engines, all engine nodes are listed.  So basically any engine can serve up any application at a given time, like the default  behavior.  We are just experiencing performance issues likely due to cache warming issues duplicating the ram footprint.

Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

Ahh. So architecturally the key thing to keep in mind is that Load Balancing in Qlik Sense at current is pure round robin. Practically if you know you have a massive app, you would likely want to pin that app to 1 engine using Load Balancing Rules and distribute the rest to the others (or all apps but big app to all front end engines and big app to just 1 front end engine).