Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recurring postgres "qlogs_reader" error on server.

Hi everyone,

Soooooo...Since we updated from Qlik sense 3.2 to September 2017 release (skipping over June 2017 release) we have been getting a recurring error every hour on the server that hosts QLIK. Has anyone else seen this and van give me some direction?  Google literally returned zero matches on the error. (never really seen THAT before).  Thanks in advance. The full error text is below.

FATAL: password authentication failed for user "qlogs_reader" DETAIL: Role "qlogs_reader" does not exist. Connection matched pg_hba.conf line 82: "host all all ::1/128 md5"

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jaisoni_trp
Creator II
Creator II

Did you configure Centralized Logging during the upgrade? If yes, do you see Qlogs database in repository database. If not, you can simple disable logging service on Qlik host or install the database as explained here

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/September2017/Subsystems/PlanningQlikSenseDeployments/Content/Depl...

View solution in original post

12 Replies
jaisoni_trp
Creator II
Creator II

Did you configure Centralized Logging during the upgrade? If yes, do you see Qlogs database in repository database. If not, you can simple disable logging service on Qlik host or install the database as explained here

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/September2017/Subsystems/PlanningQlikSenseDeployments/Content/Depl...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Jai,

First thank you for your reply,

one question (ok maybe two)...

Will disabling the service mean that All logs will cease?  We only have the one node at this point so centralized logging is probably not really needed. But I still want to locally log. If I need to keep the service running? Does the qlog reader and qlog writer need to be added to AD? or can they be local user account to the machine?

Thanks for you help

jaisoni_trp
Creator II
Creator II

There wont be any harm even if you disable the service since logs will still be available as physical files. With this new concept of Centralized logging logs will be also be moved to repository database. qlog reader and writer are local accounts specific to postgres only and they have nothing to do with AD groups. They will created once you enable Centralized logging.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you.

damian_thomson
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi

Stumbled across this as we are seeing the same issue, we did deploy the centralised logging.

Looking at the URL you listed I can validate the logging service:

C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Logging>qlik.logging.service.exe validate

Successfully validated logging database and schema version.

CentralizedLoggingEnabled: True

LoggingToFileEnabled: True

archive_age_in_days: 30

last_forced_db_trim: 2017-10-17 20:12:24.138551+01

purge_age_in_days: 60

version: 0.1

But still see the twice hourly error in windows event log:

FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "qlogs_reader"

DETAIL:  Password does not match for user "qlogs_reader".

Connection matched pg_hba.conf line 82: "host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5"

Can anyone advise how we update the password for the reading to what we set on the install

piotr_gora
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hello

Any new information about this one? I'm having the exact same issue as you, I think it's not the logging service writing to the log repository but some other processes trying to read from it, but I can not find which one.

Cheers,

Piotr

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Here is my latest update....I disabled the logging service, and it is still disabled.  I just noticed that it solved the problem for about a day or so and now we are getting the error again, although the error is slightly different

The description for Event ID 0 from source PostgreSQL cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "qlogs_reader"

DETAIL:  Role "qlogs_reader" does not exist.

Connection matched pg_hba.conf line 82: "host    all             all             ::1/128                 md5"

piotr_gora
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi!

Disabling the logging server did not work for me, I would guess that the logging server uses the role/user qlogswriter, during other work I found that the data connection "QLogs" uses the user/role Qlogs_reader, I think the data connection is used by Operations Monitor app. I checked that my password for Qlogs_reader was correct by connecting to the database using psql

PS C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Repository\PostgreSQL\9.6\bin> ./psql -p xxxx -U qlogs_reader -d QLogs

Password for user qlogs_reader:

psql (9.6.3)

Type "help" for help.

QLogs=> \dt

List of relations

Schema |      Name       | Type  |    Owner

--------+-----------------+-------+--------------

public | archive_entries | table | qlogs_writer

public | log_entries     | table | qlogs_writer

public | settings        | table | qlogs_writer

(3 rows)

After that I went to the Data connections in QMC, took edit on QLogs and inserted the password for the Qlogs_reader user and applied the changes. For now at least it looks like the error messages have stopped coming. A lot of "I guess" and "I think" but it seems to work...for now.

_armoco_
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi,

Exact same issue. Any solutions yet? Can someone help out?

Thanks.