Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nicole-Smith

Task/Log Files Location

We are in the process of migrating from Qlik View to Qlik Sense, and I'm having a hard time finding some of the information that I'm looking for in the log files.  The following are a list of log files I'm using in Qlik View that I need to find the equivalent of in Qlik Sense:
c$\ProgramData\QlikTech\ManagementService\QVPR\DocumentTask.xml
c$\ProgramData\Qliktech\DistributionService\TaskExecutionHistory\
c$\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService\1\Log\

Does anyone know where I can find these (or something like them) in Qlik Sense?

7 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

I think this help chapter could be an interesting read for you: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/April2019/Subsystems/PlanningQlikSenseDeployments/Content/Sense_De...

There is an sub chapter called Storage that will point you to the different log file storage locations: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/April2019/Subsystems/PlanningQlikSenseDeployments/Content/Sense_De...
Nicole-Smith
Author

I read through these already, and the only thing I found was c$\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Log\Scheduler\Trace\<Server>_TaskExecution_Scheduler.txt which looks pretty close to the DocumentTask.xml file.  The others I haven't had any luck finding.

s_kabir_rab
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Hi, the service from QV to QS are quite different. I don't think you will find like for like logs. You will find most of these information between engine and proxy logs i think. 

May I ask what are you trying to achieve?  For example, if you are trying to monitor tasks etc, I would suggest use the QRS API rather than log files and build history etc. 

Another good place to look is the utility/monitor apps and work through the scripts to figure out where the information is being fetched from.

Kabir
Please do not forget to the mark the post if you find it useful or provides you the solutions 🙂
Nicole-Smith
Author

I found what I needed for the first two:
c$\ProgramData\QlikTech\ManagementService\QVPR\DocumentTask.xml
c$\ProgramData\Qliktech\DistributionService\TaskExecutionHistory\

By looking at the default sources on the Qlik Sense Server, I was able to map to these files for the above:
lib://ServerLogFolder/Scheduler/Trace/*TaskExecution_Scheduler.txt
lib://ArchivedLogsFolder/<Server>/Scheduler/Trace/*TaskExecution_Scheduler*.log

What I haven't been able to find is an equivalent for the files in:
c$\ProgramData\QlikTech\DistributionService\1\Log\

I was using those to determine HOW a job was run (EDX trigger, manually, scheduled, etc.).

s_kabir_rab
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Best to use API for these info. Qlik CLI (PowerShell) or python (there is a python wraper available to speak to QRS API) should allow you to fetch these in interval.  

Sorry, I have been away from the log side of things to help you out.

Kabir
Please do not forget to the mark the post if you find it useful or provides you the solutions 🙂
Levi_Turner
Employee
Employee

As others have said, there aren't direct ports of every element. The Scheduler is analogous to QDS in QlikView in that it just the launcher for another process to handle the reload (qvb.exe in QlikView, Engine.exe in Qlik Sense).

> I was using those to determine HOW a job was run (EDX trigger, manually, scheduled, etc.).

Inside of Qlik Sense this concept makes no sense. Everything is built on RESTful APIs when it comes to the administration of Qlik Sense. This means the internal process of triggering a task to start is exactly the same as an integration layer which is calling the API directly.

What other use cases are there?

herbert88
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

You can find in:

C:\ProgramData\Qlik\Sense\Log\Script 

\\NAME OF SERVER\QlikShare\ArchivedLogs\name of server\Script

All task log(manual or not) is generated locally, them when the task finish it goes to the Archived logs inside the shared path.

Regards