Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Upgrade to June 2017 SR2 in one step?

Looking at upgrading from 3.2 to June 2017 SR2.

Question is: Do I first need to upgrade to June 2017 and bring the Sense cluster up on that version, and then do an upgrade to SR2?

Or can I install June 2017, then immediately install June 2017 SR2, and then start all services, have the system do the app migration etc?

Would save a fair bit of time if there is no need to bring up the system under June 2017 before applying SR2...

Please mark the post as a solution if it provided you with a solution to the topic at hand. Thanks!
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

We played it safe and did a two step upgrade.

App migration happened both after the upgrade to June2017 and after upgrade to SR2.

The upgrade as such was pretty pain free (except the hours needed for app migration), worse though that the REST connector has changed. New authentication options (which are good!!) means that ALL apps reading data from REST APIs fail during reload. I totally missed this in the release notes etc - or maybe it wasn't there. Given that it is a breaking change I think it deserves some major headlines in upgrade instructions..

Some/most REST data connections were easy to fix, the ones dealing with the QRS were a true pain. What in the end worked was to use certificate based authentication (export Windows format certs from QMC, then load them into Windows keychain on the server you will access QRS on). Works a treat.

I never got NTLM auth to work... I spent several hours trying all (?) config combinations, never got it to work - might be a bug in there..

Please mark the post as a solution if it provided you with a solution to the topic at hand. Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

There is no SR2 full installer for QS Enterprise. You install the initial release June 2017 Qlik_Sense_setup installer and then run the SR2 Qlik_Sense_update executable.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

I know - the SR2 release notes are very clear regarding that.

My question is whether you need to upgrade-to-June2017, start-June2017-and-have-it-migrate-all-apps-etc, upgrade-to-SR2, start-SR2

or

upgrade-to-June2017, upgrade-to-SR2, start-SR2, wait-for-all-apps-to-migrate.

The word is that the second approach should be fine (this would allow for much shorter service window for doing the upgrade, as doing the app migration in that middle step will take hours for a large system), but I wouldn't be totally surprised if you had to start June2017 and let it settle down, before apply the SR2 upgrade... Lacking solid intel on this we will simply have to test, I guess. 😕

Gysbert_Wassenaar

My guess would be that both approaches will work fine. I doubt apps need to be upgraded to SR2 after they've been upgraded to June2017 IR. But I could be wrong.

mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

We played it safe and did a two step upgrade.

App migration happened both after the upgrade to June2017 and after upgrade to SR2.

The upgrade as such was pretty pain free (except the hours needed for app migration), worse though that the REST connector has changed. New authentication options (which are good!!) means that ALL apps reading data from REST APIs fail during reload. I totally missed this in the release notes etc - or maybe it wasn't there. Given that it is a breaking change I think it deserves some major headlines in upgrade instructions..

Some/most REST data connections were easy to fix, the ones dealing with the QRS were a true pain. What in the end worked was to use certificate based authentication (export Windows format certs from QMC, then load them into Windows keychain on the server you will access QRS on). Works a treat.

I never got NTLM auth to work... I spent several hours trying all (?) config combinations, never got it to work - might be a bug in there..

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know about the REST connector.