Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbullman
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Users were unable to see apps in Hub until virtual proxy settings were updated

Hi Everyone,

I recently had an issue with users being unable to view apps in the hub until I updated virtual proxy settings.Users were able to see the streams they had access to, but all the streams were 'empty' even though the apps existed in the QMC.

Our current Qlik configuration has 2 engine rim nodes, at the time of the incident the affect virtual proxy was only load balancing to a single Engine rim node.

Initially, I did not see the problem as I was accessing the hub through a different virtual proxy which I use for testing purposes, but end users were affected when they went to their default virtual proxy. After realizing the issue was happening at the virtual proxy level I made 2 changes.

1) I added the second engine to affected virtual proxy, since at the time of the incident it was only load balancing to a single engine node

2) I updated the host whitelist to mimic the whitelist of my test virtual proxy. After the whitelists were updated the proxy nodes were restarted by QMC and the issue resolved.

Speaking with support it seems like the adding of the second engine node is likely what fixed it, but why is this the case? Both engine nodes are able to access the fileshare for the apps listed in the service cluster configs in QMC, and my understanding is load balancing to a single node would only effect performance as more users would be sent to a single engine rather than splitting the load between them.

Any idea what could've caused this behavior? Or where to look to track this down?

2 Replies
Eva_B
Employee
Employee

Hello,

I saw your post and wanted to ask what version of Qlik Sense are you currently running?

Also I was a bit confused by the below point:

2) I updated the host whitelist to mimic the whitelist of my test virtual proxy. After the whitelists were updated the proxy nodes were restarted by QMC and the issue resolved.

You do need to add to the Host WhiteList for the Virtual Proxy. 

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/June2019/Subsystems/AdministerQSEoK/Content/Sense_QMC/create-virtu...

If you do not mind providing some clarification to that point and which version you are currently using that would help narrow down the cause.

Regards,

Eva

Giuseppe_Novello

The question removing the added Engine in the VP LB settings, can the end user still replicate the issue? 

The issue could be 3 players: Engine, Proxy and Repository service.

Engine: Shared folder access, check the Trace\ system logs and see if it has "browseable //<sharefolder>" message.

Proxy: Engine LB was added but the proxy required to restart ( it will automatically), but some some error occurs and fails to restart automatically, the changes won't take fully, so check in the proxy logs for any restart failures.  Also it needs in a way access to the shared folders. 

Repository: Rules, here we evaluate rules. Check with logs repository for any errors. 

BR

Gio

Giuseppe Novello
Principal Technical Support Engineer @ Qlik