Qlik Community

Qlik Sense Deployment & Management

Discussion board where members learn more about Qlik Sense Installation, Deployment and Management.

Announcements
QlikWorld 2020: Join us May 11 - 14, 2020 in Phoenix, AZ. Register early and save $400. Learn More
mwallman
Contributor II

What are some best practices when working with Binary Load Qlik Sense documents?

Hello all,

What are some best practices when working with Binary Load Qlik Sense documents? What should they have and what should you avoid when creating / working with a Qlik Sense app that will be binary loaded into another app?

4 Replies
Employee
Employee

Re: What are some best practices when working with Binary Load Qlik Sense documents?

Binary reload on server side is in my experience a bit tricky. The apps in server storage are used by the server processes for housekeeping and reload tasks, which means your binary reload can fail if the file is locked for other processing. I would recommend that you reuse data through a QVD layer rather than a binary reload.
mwallman
Contributor II

Re: What are some best practices when working with Binary Load Qlik Sense documents?

Hi @ToniKautto,
Could you please explain more on "The apps in server storage are used by the server processes for housekeeping and reload tasks..." I am trying to understand more what you mean by this.
Partner
Partner

Hi,
Best practices - not use binnary load in Qlik Sense 🙂
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

App file is locked by reload process during reload, so you would need to time reloads to avoid theses resource conflicts.
The server will read and write to the app files at times, for example to optimize file content or set app meta data. These are interactions that you will not be able to predicts, which means that there is a high likelihood that your binary load will fail due to the app is used by other processes.

For a successful binary reload, you would have to load from a QVF file, rather than the apps in the app storage (which have no file extension).

QVD layer is a better strategy for reusing data model and structure among apps.